Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2 part question: Best ATV for pulling...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 part question: Best ATV for pulling...

Originally posted by: PETE16
Originally posted by: action450s
Hook up to that same trailer 4 days a week for 6 months pulling it fast like you said, then do the same with the forman. Come back and tell us what's left of your bike when your done.
Exactly!
Sad when your best comeback rest on a theory you can not prove. Don't give Honda owners a bad rap (I do like Honda's, look at my sig!!!)

Sorry Pete, once again we disagree. My old belt 400 was able to pull my moose. Don't know much about the Prairies, but SHOTGUN doesn't seem to have a problem pulling with his, and I bet he does a lot more than most people. Maybe your buddies P650 just needed new tires cause he lacked the traction, or are you saying his engine was bogging down because he lacked the power?

I have been pulling hard with belt quads for 5 years, IRS even. What most people with SRA forget is that you can set the springs on a IRS to be so tight that you won't be able to budge it. Even if you guys don't like belt quads, wouldn't the 500 5-speed Arctic Cat (which has a low range) be able to tow better then the 450 Forman???

Pete, as much as I like a fellow Browning owner, [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] hooking two ATV's up to see who can pull who is the dumbest thing ever. Many people have died from doing this as it is very, very unsafe.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

Catterman, You are right about hooking two quads up to each other would be dumb. I apologize if I sounded as though I seriously recommended doing something that dumb. I don't paint all Prairie 650's with the same brush, maybe they can pull fairly well. The one I saw attempt to pull a moose was in a pretty bad spot and it was a fairly large moose, but yes it did seem like the quad lacked a little traction (stock tires) and maybe some bottem end power. The belt may have even been slipping (if that's possible) I'm not sure, but it wouldn't budge the moose. The 450 had bear claws on it and it pulled the moose fine (not fast) but sort of slow controlled pulling. As for comparing it to a 500 AC manual, I don't Know! The AC outweighs the 450 by alot so it should pull more, but I said pound for pound. Are you ready for moose Hunting yet? I'm gettin there. When does the season open in Alaska? Hey and when did you get the new quad?

Old 09-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Pete, someone offered me a deal on my 400 that I couldn't pass up, so I had to upgrade to a bigger unit! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Only took 1 day to convince the wife! Moose hunting started about two weeks ago! I passes on a young bull, I am holding out for something bigger then I got last year. Hope to hit it hard again this weekend but we are just super busy don't know if I can. When does your season start?

Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

In northern Ontario the season starts October 8, and we have one Bull tag this year. So it's just Bulls and calves for us. Apperently the moose population is on the rise in the area we go, so hopefully it will get easier to draw tags in the future.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

My terory has been proven over and over again by local farmers towing mowers, trailers, and the like day in day out. The honda's are the ones that last the longest with the least amount of trouble period. Longer than Polaris, AC, Kawi, Zuki and the rest.

It comes down to reliability when its a work machine, not necessailly the fastest once a month or a scattered tow here and there. If you buying a bike to use youself, almost EVErY bike out there will tow good. When you buy a bike to only work every day, that's where you see the difference. Perfomance means little when the machine's in the shop...you arent towing anything then.

Old 09-05-2005, 01:08 AM
RJF
Range Rover

The absolute best for pulling??? Thats simple.....

Polaris Sportsman 800. I don't care if it's got an excellent belt driven dual clutch system or a manual transmission. The Sportsman outweighs all other big bores, has a plenty deep low range, excellent traction, and torquey power from the big V twins. That combo will always outpull a much lighter, less powerfull ATV like the Rincon/Rubicon. They may have a just fine first gear but the Sportsmans have low range and are plenty low geared, especially with all the power on tap.

I've pulled out my buddies Foreman before with my SP700, the SRA got hung up in the mud and I drove right through his ruts. I like the IRS on my work ATV, my Sportsman 700, and my SRA on my Scrambler sport quad.

Bottom line, The Sportsmans pull like hell because they are the tanks of the ATV world.