Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Where to use "Loctite" on Bolt Threads?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to use "Loctite" on Bolt Threads?!?!?!?

Just a quick question. Are there any bolts that I should be sure to use Loctite on? For example - Cylinder Head Cover bolts??? Does the stuff cause problems if you need to remove a bolt later and put it back in??? THANKS!!!

Old 09-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to use "Loctite" on Bolt Threads?!?!?!?

here's a tip- if the bolt is on the outside of the engine and it's a long bolt, about 1" or longer, you can actually use engine oil on the threads, it keeps the steel bolt from reacting with the aluminum. Then just make sure they are tight, the bolt will start "ticking" as you get tight enough with it, cuz the aluminum is stretching just slightly to keept the bolt tight. I use engine oil on my valve cover bolts, as well as my oil filter cover bolts. The oil helps with the "ticking" thing i just mensioned, but lubricates enough so the threads dont strip out.

Blue loctite is medium strength, and that's what you would use on an engine (for heat reasons, the light strength stuff will melt and not hold) if it was something you need to take apart periodically. Dont use the "high strength" stuff, that requires heat in excess of 700 degrees, and basically you'll break the bolt if you use the high strength stuff. that is only for use on something that is never supposed to come apart in normal circumstances.