Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

'03 Foreman ES Tranny problem, Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 Foreman ES Tranny problem, Help!!!

I recently encountered a, what seems to be, big problem. Yesterday a few of my buddies and I were riding back to my place on a local road. To begin I hate "road riding" with this machine.... just not made for it. But anyway. I was going about 30-35 when my back wheels locked up and it almost through me over the handlebars. So, my problem is... It wont go in anything but 2nd gear. I can shift up into 3rd 4th and 5th but it wont move. I cant shift down into 1st or Neutral though. So I am stuck in 2nd? I dont know too much about transmissions but could 5th gear have broken and locked up those 3 gears or could a bearing have broken or what could the problem be? I have the motor out and Im ready to tear into the tranny... Any help would be greatly appreciated. And on another note, does anyone know if there is a way to trick the computer into starting while its in gear? I jumped the coil and starter and it will turn over but it wont start up, much like it wont start if you try and push start it... Thanks again.

Old 09-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please read my comments here............

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/466984.cfm

Old 09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
Range Rover

Reconranger, what does this have to do with the ES system?

Honestly, it sounds like something internal broke in the transmission, like a shift fork.

Reconranger, are you aware that the ES and manual shift use the same transmission? An internal transmisison problem on an ES bike will affect a manual shift bike the same way. Bet you didn't know that, did you?

You're wasting your time trying to be a one man wrecking crew. If you think your little "act" will affect Honda in any way, you're dreaming...

Old 09-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I had a thread awhile back , when i was trying to figure out a start in gear feature on the es. Its a piece of cake on a s, but the computer on the es gets confused. Itll start in gear, but then the gear indicator will be flashing,after it starts. If someone has come up with a work around on this, id like to hear it. For some reason the motor needs to see a nuetral before spark will happen, thats why it cant be push started or rope started in gear.
Yep, sounds like something broke and jambed between some gear teeth.

Old 09-18-2005, 01:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did jump the gun on this one! I was in a hurry and didn't have time to read the whole post, and assumed it was another ES failure. Does sound like something internal, so my apologies to beldog!