Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Instead of comparing a modded 440ex to a Raptor, how about..

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000 | 10:21 AM
|
Pro Rider

..how about comparing your 440ex to a stock YZ426 engine? Then, you won't have any reason to complain that the only reason the Raptor is faster is because of the extra cubic centimeters.

Even it you somehow get a modded 440ex close in hp to the yz426, which one will last longer, stay cooler, spin faster and ect..? It should become clear, that yamaha has more technology built into their engines.

Old 10-24-2000 | 10:29 AM
Range Rover

i guess thats why yamaha has made the 426 a production quad hu? it was there stupid mistake for not ...... i have to admit, we the 400ex guys prob. couldnt say much if they had put the yz into production.....that big 660 is just too much and is in for trouble in the long run.....

and the other thing is, no one is in here trying to compare the 400 and 426....they are bashing 400s with the 660's....so therefore go to the yamy department over there in the other forumn and talk to them about talking crap.....i think we hold our own very well......i deff will after next week with just a few more engine mods.....

Old 10-24-2000 | 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

you came all the way over from the yamaha forum just to say that???? go home!

Old 10-24-2000 | 11:04 AM
|
Pro Rider

I like Honda's and in fact, I just picked one up for my dad a week ago.

But, I don't think it is fair to comparing a full on race engine to a production unit regardless of the size. If we were to go on that basis, then we would all be disappointed up because our 5.0, 350, 454 or whatever else size of engine we may have isn't as powerful as a small 2.0+ liter engine found in a Formula 1 car. Size is really only a factor when all other varibles are the same.

I wish Yahama would have made the Raptor with a YZ426 engine too, but according to the interviews in the magazines, Yamaha felt the power was too abrupt for a quad, so they put the sedate (not race tuned) 660 engine in the Raptor.

No, I didn't "come all the way over" just to make this post. I just read the "spanked a Raptor" post and thought that it was a lop sided discussion. I agree, you shouldn't see a bunch of Raptor guys bashing the 400ex because it really isn't in the same league. It's a non-factor until somebody with one makes it an issue.
I have my eyes on competing with bikes of similar power, which would include the DS650, Banshee and possibly a modded 440ex.

Old 10-24-2000 | 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

First of all, why post a new topic continuing this crap?

2nd, apples to oranges. The YZF engine is a full blown race engine, the XR/EX is a trail bike engine. The XR/EX puts out substantially more bottom end, has a long history of rock solid reliability, DOES NOT have the distinction of being a bike known for overheating at low speeds (like a certain YZF engine), the XR/EX engine is quiet, unlike the race piped YZF, and the XR/EX engine (wet) is lighter in weight than the YZF & associated cooling (wet). Also, the XR/EX engine is very upgradable - tunable to the performance level you desire. The YZF is pretty much maxed out from the factory.

3rd, the 400EX exists, the 426 quad does not (except in custom built racing applications).

4th, A race engine that turns 11.2K RPM and runs 12.5:1 compression has never been known for longevity.

I know, instead of comparing a 400EX to a YZF426, lets compare a YZF426 to a CBR929RR - the Honda puts out approx 150HP, they Yamaha - about 43HP. Divide the CBR's numbers in half and you have about 75HP, or we could go about it a little differently, the YZF produces about 101 HP/L where as the Honda generates 161 HP/L. Come on now.... What are we going to compare next? A Yamaha R6 to a Honda F1 engine?

Lets be realistic. The Raptor obviously has more power than the 400EX stock for stock (if you can keep the carbs attached ), but just like the 400EX vs the Banshee, the 400EX still has better handling - else it would be getting spanked on a regular basis in woods and MX racing - it's not. Get the bike that suits you and be happy....

Old 10-24-2000 | 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Bash since we are talking about apples and oranges why are we comparing a dirt bike,426, against a quad, 400ex. I thought that a quad with the same engine as a bike would be a little unfair due to the fact that the bike is smaller and weighs less and, i think i am right but i am not sure, i thought quad engines were a little detuned from the bike version.

Second i thought we were comparing 400 and 440Ex's to the 660 raptor. I hate it when people change things around. This isn't really meant to you but over in the other topic some guy told me that i was wrong comparing the 440EX to the raptor because it is like comparing a 440EX agianst the 400EX, it didn't make sense to me either.

Old 10-24-2000 | 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

There is somebody in this forum bragging about how his 440ex beat a Raptor three times in a drag but thats cool for him! He is probably proud of his work he did and that the thing is running right. It shouldn't be meant as a Honda versus Yamaha thing because it's not fair. Once the Raptors get more aftermarket parts available then I'm sure we will see posts all over from those guys.

Old 10-24-2000 | 07:26 PM
|
Pro Rider

This post wasn't meant to be taken literally in form of comparisons. It was just to show that most comparisons aren't really fair because of all the factors involved.

Heck, in really tight woods, it's all I can do to keep up with my buddy who rides a 300ex! He's a good rider and knows the bike like the back of his hand. It just goes to show that in most situations, it's the rider that makes the bike, not the other way around.

In any case, you won't see me bashing other folks quads, and I guess that's why I get a little vocal when it goes on.

Old 10-25-2000 | 06:13 PM
Trailblazer

The only reason they didn't put the 426 engine into a quad was not because it was too fast but because the engine is streesed the way it is and couldn't handle more weight drag of four tires produced by quads. Yamaha tried to make the 426 as close to race ready as possible which means its reliability you say would be a factor with the modded 440EX is a factor with production 426.

Old 10-25-2000 | 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

i still look fot the yz426f motor to replace tha banshee 350 motor in the next couple of years....

Quick Reply: Instead of comparing a modded 440ex to a Raptor, how about..