Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

98 Recon carb problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2000, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 98 Recon,and when its fully warmed up,if you SMASH the throttle,it will stall.I looked in the owners manual to see where to adjust the air screw,it only showed the Idle screw.

There is a brass looking screw that protrudes downwards towards the front of the carb in the front of it,is this my air/fuel adjustment?Any help on removing this hesatation will be very helpful.Thanks to all and have a great day,
Bill

Old 10-24-2000, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Bill, that screw pointing down is the idle mixture screw. It should be about 2 3/4 to 3 turns out from gently seated. If you have the usual Recon condition of not wanting to run in cold temps, you may want to go a bit richer, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turns out.
On another note, Recons get water in the airbox easily due to poor lid sealing and low snorkel. I have seen at least 3 cases of poor acceleration and performance, and subsequently found a lot of caca in the carb bowl. A good cleanup with carb cleaner generally straightens it right up. Hope this helps.

Old 10-24-2000, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

Recon98,
I thank you very much for your help.I will adjust the air/fuel screw out 1/4 or so in the morning after a complete warm up.You really have to SMASH the throttle for this to happen.Other than this minor flat spot problem,the carb operates perfectly under any other condition.

I inspected the airbox before I purchased it,it was TOTALLY clean inside and out.Usually,when the airbox sediment drain tube has previously been filled up,it will dis-color somewhat,even after you have cleaned it,this tube looked brand new.This quad has hardly any hrs on it.The previous owner said it had only run 6 tanks of fuel thru it since new.

I did notice the top lid does not fit real well,I will modify it in the morning to fit tighter.Thank you,
Bill

Old 10-24-2000, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

You did very well to get such a clean bike at that price! I would be very interested to learn of the airbox lid mods you will be making. The small rubber oring type seal that is used is inadequate, and I have used grease for sealing with some, but not complete success.

Old 10-24-2000, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

Recon,
My thought is to order an additional [2-thick] rubber seal for the underside of the airbox lid and to stiffen up the factory clamps so they grab the top lid better.What ya think?
Bill

Old 10-24-2000, 11:04 PM
Trailblazer

It sounds like a winner. I would be interested in the specific rubber you use. All of us Recon owners can benefit from an upgrade in this area. Sounds like a tech tip in the making!

Old 10-25-2000, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

How much difference did the exhaust and intake mods make on your Recon, recon98?

Old 10-25-2000, 10:51 AM
Range Rover

I was wondering if maybe a soft silicone sealent in the lid would work. Or maybe white lithium grease. Might be messy but could work.

Old 10-25-2000, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

Bill, did turning the mixture screw out fix the problem? If it didn't, try raising the needle one notch. To raise the needle, make sure and LOWER the clip. That should fix the problem. Please let us know what happens.

Old 10-25-2000, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer

I thought about the silicone sealant idea ,too. I was told to use marine grease, but I did not have time to get some before last weekend. As I was going on a poker run, I used some other grease that I had. In combination with my relocated snorkle, it did make an improvement, but some water still got in, probably enough to fill a styrofoam coffee cup.
I'm all ears for a good solution.

Quick Reply: 98 Recon carb problem?