Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

how much labor would this involve?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much labor would this involve?

i have a fourtrax 200sx that im pondering on taking in because the timming chain slipped a few teeth and i think it needs a new chain or tensioner . i was wondering if anyone knew about how many hours or labor that would be . or roughly what it would cost? i know it varys from place to place.. but even a range of prices would be good.. i dont know if anything is going to be dammaged inside the head from this or not.. from the sound of it no.. its just a good tick and im not running it anymore till i get it done.
if its going to cost alot to have done im thinking i may just rent some garage space from a friend and do it myself over there.. i just dont have the shop to do it in at my house. Otherwise see if i can save some money by taking the fenders and exaust off myself. and then taking it in.. since its an old quad i really dont want to spend much if i dont have to .... it runs good just makes alot of tick in the valve trane which im hoping is just being cased either by the chain or the fact that its a few teeth off.. Thanks for any replys

Old 10-10-2005, 09:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i was able to make it to the honda shop tonight to find out.. problem normally is i get out of work at 530 and dont get home till about six. but tonight i talked the guy i was working with into stopping there on the way home and the boss said go for it so we did.. they said around an hour to an hour and a half to reset the chain . 55 n hour labor rate. im going to take off all of the plastic and exaust for them and they said it will save on labor.. so thats cool. wasent able to find a garage to do it myself.. and im not to familiar with engines in quads yet.. And dont feel like diving that far in on a first project.. ill write again and let you peoples know what the dammage is if any and what it ends up running. i hope not to have to spend to much on it being as old as it is.. but i figure in a year or two ill pry get something different and give it to my bro to give too my nephew.. hes 2 now so got a ways to go before hel need that .. but im sure my brother could play with it in the mean time .

Old 10-11-2005, 12:00 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

welcome to the forum motion, It sounds like youve got this figured out. Let us know what happens. I would worry that a timing chain that was loose enough to slip would be worn out and need replacing.