Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Plastic Welding Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic Welding Kits?

A buddy of mine tipped his Rincon on it's side. It didn't hurt much, but there is a crack on one of the front fenders, above where a support attaches to the plastic below.

I know there used to be plastic welding kits on the market... Does anyone have any experience with these, or know where to get one? How hard is it to do, and are the results decent looking?

It would have to be reasonably priced (IE enough cheaper than replacing the part to make it worth while).

Does anyone know of a place in northern Oregon or southern Washington that offers plastic welding service? (The part that is cracked is basically the whole front half of the body, and taking it off to ship it somewhere probably isn't too practical).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide some helpful info...

Old 10-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

"I know there used to be plastic welding kits on the market... Does anyone have any experience with these, or know where to get one? "

You can get one from Eastwood.

"How hard is it to do, and are the results decent looking?"

If you can solder you can weld plastic. Well...........if you do it on the under side you will still see the crack. If you do it on the under and top side it looks like you smeared gum on it. I can't make the call on this for you.

"It would have to be reasonably priced (IE enough cheaper than replacing the part to make it worth while)."

I think you can get one for about 30 bucks or so.

"Does anyone know of a place in northern Oregon or southern Washington that offers plastic welding service?"

Go to a BIG auto body repair place. They will have one.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Thanks for the info.

Looks like what Eastwood has starts at about $60 and the next one up I think was ab out $180. Maybe the $60 one would do OK...

Old 10-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The one I used way back when was a hot air unit. Some are nothing more than a soldering gun with a shoe on the end to smooth the plastic out.
They are all kinda crude. The one I used was used to do the "new" bumpers. It did not matter on how they looked. I would weld them up grind them down, prime, and paint. Good as new.
As you know, you can't do that with a quad fender.
You might try a big soldering gun. They work the same and cost about a 4th of the "plastic welder".