Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2005 400 rancher AT w/GPS, help please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 400 rancher AT w/GPS, help please

I have a 05 400 Rancher AT, it work great until last weekend. we aere out all day and we came to a stop for about 1hr when we left it seems the bike was lacking some power on take off. one. once moving it worked great, so I thought, got to a hill couldn't make it up all the way. when taking off it feels like i'm starting out in third gear or so???? any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2005, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know the problem, my wifes Rancher just began showing the same symtoms today. It came on suddenly not something that got worse over time, it almost feels like a clutch or belt slipping. I also noticed the wheeler seemed to be running very hot for 40 deg. weather and lite riding. I checked the oil level which was fine, engine was running fine also.

Old 10-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Were you able to do anything to fix it yet? I noticed when I use electric shift mode it wont go past 2nd, it just dont have the power and it feels like it is in to high of a gear to pull.?? any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Old 10-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, I gotta ask. Did you check to see if you had the parking brake on?

Old 10-30-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

folks look through the posts, not sure on which bikes there were, but something about a computer recall on the at's , with the problem u were desribing, the tranny gets stuck in 2nd gear, and will not shift back to first, this is something u need to see the dealer about

Old 10-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sure felt like the p-brake was on. I took it for a quick ride today around the yard, it was working better but still not quite right. It's looking like we're going to be taking a trip to the $dealer for repairs. This will be my first, I guess the forman spoiled me

Old 11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I understand what everyone is talking about with the power issues. My 2005 Rancher AT was running fine one minute and then the next it seemed to be running hard and was lacking power going up hills. I was fairly pleased with mine until it started no wanting to pull up a hill in AUTO mode if you ever slowed down from 15MPH to 5MPH. Basically, it's not downshifting from 2nd to 1st gear when slowing down and it just sits there and bogs for several seconds. If you push the throttle wide open, it slowly starts moving and takes off after several seconds. FYI, it works better in ESP mode, but seems to be running harder than it was before.

I've tried to justify it someway as something that I did to it, but none of it makes any sense except the possiblity of getting something wet. Of course it's been over a month now and it should have dried out by now....unless it fried something.

The only other thing that I've thought it might be is the temperature.....it's been 30 degrees cooler here than it was when it was running fine. Could this have anything to do with it?.....longer warm up times? Does everyones still seem to have no power after warming up properly?

Maybe we should call Honda directly and complain about this issue. I think this is a similiar if not identical to the problem the 2004's had and if so, ours should be fixed under recall for free. Leaving them like them will eventually burn up the clutch and cost even more $$$ to fix.

Keep us updated if you find out the fix. Mine started acting up two days after my warranty ran out. Go figure [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Later!

Old 11-03-2005, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

I have not had any issues with my quad, but I've seen too many posts about the Rancher AT to think it was a unique situation. I would push Honda if necessary.

Old 11-03-2005, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Made an appointment today for the rancher. It goes in next week for the recall work, tune-up and power problems. I"ll keep everyone posted.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well since i originally posted this message I had made an appointment with the dealer and dropped it off on to them on Tuesday, i got a call today saying it is fininshed and there was no charge, about $1200.00 no charge. they had to repalce the ECM, Cluthces and Angle Sensor. They told me the ECM was fine but wanted to make sure it has the updated one, but the angle sensor had failed and they feel because the clutch heated up so bad, blue looking, that that is what started this whole thing. So all said and done i have a new ecm, angle sensor, and clutches, and tie rod ends beacause of the recall. My warranty expired about 1 month ago but they got honda to cover it. hope this helps someone else. By the way i havent got it back to try yet, so I will let you know, who ever wants to know, how it works after tomorrow when I pick it up.

Quick Reply: 2005 400 rancher AT w/GPS, help please