Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATTENTION all Rubicon owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTENTION all Rubicon owners

For the service, just follow the owners manuel. Change the oil. clean the air filter ect. I have han an 05 for almost a year (buddies have 04 & 03) the only service other than that was i had to tighten up the rear brake cable. took 5 seconds. As far as the Hondamatic, I think its the best "transmission"out there. Smooth as silk shifting in D1, power when/where i want it in D2.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:53 AM
Trailblazer

I think most people didnt address the question about oil changes, because weather you buy a Honda, Kawi, Polaris, ext, they all need to be serviced. But if you need to know, My father has a 1981 honda 125 that my brother and I put through every test possiable when we were young, and now my nephews are doing the same thing to the same machine and I cant bet you it hasnt had but three oil changes in its life time and it is still running like a champ. Resale on your rubicon is going to be much better as well. So with this said you should have all the info you need.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer

P.S. if you want a great deal on a 424 select, talk to Tass [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-14-2005, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our 01 Rubicon has over 6000 miles on it and so far I have only spent $25 on repairs. We ride double and carry over 100 pounds of gear. Figures to be over 400 pounds all the time and everywhere we go. The Rubicon handles it no problem.

No maint to the trans and it shares the oil with the engine. The Rubicon holds 5.2 quarts of oil. I change the oil, and use Valvoline 10w40 ATV oil and Honda brand oil filters, every 500 miles. I adjust the valves and replace the spark plug every 1000 miles. Every 2000 miles I flush the cooling system and use Valvoline/Zerex ExtremeLife Antifreeze/Coolant mixed 50/50 with distilled water and change the fluid in both differentials and use Valvoline SynPower full synthetic gear oil.

We also have a 2002 Rancher 4X4 ES. It feels "sportier" than the Rubicon and I would rather ride the Rancher in more "technical" terrain than the Rubicon. The Rancher being a little lighter and smaller seems to take on the real bad trails a little easier. The Rancher is an excellent ATV and fun to boot.

I follow the same maint schedule with the Rancher. The big differences are the Rancher only holds 2 quarts of oil (I use the same kind of oil and change it every spring), the oil filter costs half as much, no cooling system, and the spark plug costs $2 instead of $20 so the maint is probably 1/4 as much money as the Rubicon.

We bought 25" Maxxis Big Horn Radials and have been 110% satisfied with their ride, wear, and handling. They are great snow tires.

When we hit 10,000 miles on our Rubicon we will start looking for a new ATV, most likely a new Rubicon. Another red one. We never ride our Rancher so we will probably have it forever. So far we only average 325 a year on the Rancher. At this rate it will take us 30 years to put 10,000 miles on it. We bought it just so the kids (all married) can go with us when they can.

For our riding style we have no interest in switchable 4-wd.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:36 PM
K2
Trailblazer

I have an 01 Ruby with no where near the miles Spectra has - I'm jealous actually. I also don't have some of the tech skills some others apparently have either so I take mine to a dealer for the regular services - I think my last service was about 100 bucks to have them inspect and check/ adjust, change fluids, etc. Not bad. The Ruby console will also tell you when it's time for it's regular service based on your miles. There were no adjustments needed to the tranny and have never had any issues with it. Last winter was the first time I had to get some other work done to it. I needed to get my foot brake worked on since it was sticking, have read it can be common and because I didn't use it enough, do now. I was recently having a problem with the bike going into limp mode and it ended up being the angle sensor which was replaced. That was apparently just bad luck. Otherwise, I often ride water, mud and or dust. The bike never comes home clean from a ride, but usually covered and the brakes have yet to be an issue as many claim they will. Love the tranny, power exactly when you need it, engine braking is so good it removes the need for braking (see foot brake problem), don't do much hauling, but push around a lot of snow with no problems into piles 5-6 feet high. Lastly, it's a Honda and you've heard the reliabilty claims... I ride with guys who have had quads for years and years and 90+% of these guys own Hondas. I looked at their many years of experience and what they ride before I decided what to buy.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HR
ok i'm lookin at buying one of these. an 03.
what kind of servise do they require, other than oil change. do you have to adjust the auto tranny in anyway?
have you pulled or put 500+lb on the racks, i know they arnt rated for that but i am going to haul elk with mine.
is the warn 424 thing worth it? where to buy? how are the drum breaks? how often do you have to work on them? it's realy dusty where i live.
any info would be great.
i'm undecited between this 03 ruby,$4700 an 03&04 rancher. $3800 each or a new big bear.
i want to know how good the ruby is.
thank you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
The Rubicon is a great choice. The one thing you should know though is it is a tough chore to change the oil. I usually end up taking both skid plates off so they don't get oil on them and lining them back up again is one tough job. If someone has an easier way I would like to know about. I spent 4 hours the 1st time I did it, now I think I have it down to an hour or so. It requires changing every 600 miles which is both expensive and seems to come often.

Old 11-15-2005, 12:17 AM
HR
Range Rover

Specta---
that post is EXACTLY wht i was looking for. the one i'm looking at has 2000 miles on it. i don't kwo if that is alot for an 03 or not. but i'll either buy that 03 ruby for $4700 or the 04 rancher es for $4000 it also has almost 2000 miles on it. i'll know more when i test drive them.
i do do alot of "tecnical" trails but i realy don't think the size of the quad is going to hurt me, i've been riding sence i was around 4. froma moto4 80 cc yamaha to my 01 CR250, and some 3 wheelers all honda. and almost everything in between. but this is my first utility quad.

another though. the rancher es is $4000 used.
should i spend the extra grand and get a new 06 for $5000???
thank you all SO much for your input....

HR

Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 AM
Pro Rider

HR, you won't be sorry with the Rubicon if it was maintained.

Tass, don't be afraid of 26" tires, and give the DU Wetlands a look. While they are 26", in reality there is a bigger difference to the Dirt Hooks (I have comparison photos on my page). Better traction, handling, and ride. No rubbing or noticable power loss. The radials are quite a bit lighter than say the 589s or MSTs. I checked out the Bighorns, but owners claim they fill up with mud and become less effective. Not good for my riding, too bad as I've heard a lot of good about them.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

I can see a tremendous difference in the tires. I will check out the DU wetlands and perhaps go that route. You have the personal experience and are happy.
I figured a way to reduce the time of my oil changing. My trailer is a side loader with 6' sides on it. I purchased a pair of 24" jackstands, lay the side of the trailer down on the extended jackstand and use it for a platform. I run the Rubicon out on the "platform" and have access from the bottom and sides for the skid pan and the plugs. Works out quite well and the jackstands only cost $24 the pair. I will be purchasing a 1 piece skid plate for the Rubi's though, I am tired of working the stock ones over with the rubber hammer to get them on........Tass

Old 11-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

ok here we go, i got an 04 rubicon that i got last year. my friend has a rancher and i alos rider 3 different forman 450s. ther rubicon is deffinitly the way to go over the rancher if your wanting to take care of some elk with it, it has extreme amount of torque and can haul darn near ne thing you can fit on it and will tow nething as long as it can maintain traction, from what i'v experienced you can't "stall" it out in low range. I also just put a 424 warn selector unit on which was a very easy installation and comes with easy instructions. it took less time then it said it would take but i'm also a mechanic for an atv dealership so i have a little more experience than some but pretty near ne one can do it. The 424 did improve the handling very much, it turns much easier seems to havd a bit more power when in 2wd and shortens the turning radius by about a half to a full foot pluss if you want to it is extremly easy to slide and "cut a cookie" it also engages and disengages surprizingly easy. all in all the 424 is a very good buy. The maintenance is reletivly simple as i saw one guy referring to earlier as a general rule hondas will run and run and run a little more just for stuburn sake, but honda recommends changing engin oil every 100 hours, and diff. and gear case oil every two years, that is all the advise in changing. oil change is a bit annoying because you ahve to remove the front skid plate but it is simple and i can get it done in 20-30 min if i'm in a hurry, it's pretty easy. There is a belly skid plate made by ricochet i believe that has a small "door" in the bottom so you don't have to take it off. not possitive about the brand. I just got 26' itp mud lite xl tires for mine to replace stockers. they deliver a smooth ride excellent traction and quicker and easier handling. The rubicon seems to have enough torque to handle ne tire you put on it but honda doesn't sugest putting bigger than 26 and i woudln't personally go above 27 simple for center of gravity reasons. I also put a K&N air filter on mine which did increase the power a notice able amount. it deffinitly has what you would call "wheel standing power". All in all the rubicon is an awesome quad and ai would highly recommend it for any one.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION all Rubicon owners