Old 11-18-2005, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Action Review of the 06 450R

I dont think they had one setup right.
My 06 turns great and man its so soft on a jump
that I tend to get out of hand.
I have no complants about this quad I tested out my Uncles yam and a suz
tricked out and my 06 handles so much better.
As for tipping what the F are they talking about I tried to get on 2 wheels
and could not unless I got on the wrong side...well I take that back
I was hydro across some water and almost took it over on the side..lol
Still even then it didnt feel bad.
Oh and my uncle is ditching his yams from what I hear. They keep breaking down.
All the people I talk to say Honda is stronger.
I would have to agree all the quads I see towed have been yams on my past outings.
If you want power the yams from what I hear are it but if you want to play long and hard
get a Honda...

Old 11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Action Review of the 06 450R

I just came back from a week at Glamis with my 06 450R. Great quad for the dunes. I ride 80% dunes, 10% trail, and 10% desert. I have the HRC kit, and the power is very impressive (I now believe the 50 hp claim). But I did not get a chance to race much.

I did blow away a YFZ450 (stock) on Olds Hill, but that was to be expected. My son rode it and blew past an 05 YFZ450 with a pipe, .....but that might have been an inexperienced rider, no telling.
I also have a very well set up Predator (piped, jetted, intake, CDI, etc.) and my new 450R blew past it on the China Wall, with a good and lightweight rider on the Preddy. I also blew past a well set up 97 Banshee (Toomeys, etc.).

The very few 06 450R's at the Sand Drags were running very well.

Both my son and I are very impressed with this quad. He is used to his piped 250R, and he said this 450R is much better. I agree. He has +2 arms, so he thought the front on the 450R was a tad narrow. I feel it is fine. I run ITP dual rib sand tires up front on Douglas Blue, so I get a bit more offset there. Not tippy at all to me. He jumps a lot and he really liked the 450R jumping. He was able to wheelie in 4th gear accelerating up Olds Hill. I was also wheeling up the China Wall in 3rd. I am running Skat Trak Edge on Douglas Blue on the rear.

450R suspension seems just about right to me....I am an average sized guy, I did not feel compelled to adjust it. It eats up bad bottoms easily. Whoops were no problem.

Braking is top notch. Steering is great. Ergos are perfect for me. The seat is just a wee bit hard, but no problems with a week of riding. Thumb throttle is a bit stiff, so I was looking for an aftermarket throttle to give me a bit more comfort there. I could not find anything yet for the 06, since it is a different throttle control assembly with the electric start. No sore thumb after a week, but at times on the dunes I did want a break....the longer thumb lever would have been welcome.

With the Kit installed (and so the silencer is opened) I hear no low rpm knock at idle, but it does knock if you lug it at low rpm in the dunes.....just a reminder to get on the gas! I think I will try mixing in some race gas to see if that makes a difference.

Shifting was good. Gearing seemed good to my son....I thought it was pretty good, but I felt like it might be worth my time to try a 12 tooth up front, just to see the difference. I had a 12 with me, but did not switch.

I will ride my friend's new Raptor 700 and race against it at Christmas,...that should be interesting. Hopefully, someone in the group will have the 06 YFZ450 to tryout.

I just read the ATVRider write-up on the 06 450R and they were brief but positive.
This is definitely the best quad for the dunes coming right out the dealer's door that I have ever seen!

My axle lock nut came loose, but a drop of blue Locktite fixed that. I tightened the chain slightly after one day, then it was OK for the rest of the week. Easy chain tightener, same as the 250R.

One complaint: I am getting a very slight weeping of oil coming from around my oil check window. It seemed to get less as the week wore on, so I am going to try it again at Christmas week. I did not have to add any oil. My friend ecncountered the same problem with his 06 450R.

You all enjoy!.....whatever you ride.