Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Alignment??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment??

My 04, Rubicon pulls to the right and after a few hours of riding my forarm feels it. Is there a way to align the rubicon or am I dreaming?? Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2005, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default Alignment??

it's mainly and eye-ball method, but yes you can align it. Now, is yours Independent rear suspension? or was that only the Rincon? Anyways, if you have IRS, then you can maybe adjust the rear too, but i wouldnt worry about it. Just adjust the front tie-rods. They are backwards thread of each other, You'll see what i mean. There is a locking nut at the end of the rod on both ends, loosen both nuts and you can turn that shaft, Look at the threads carefully and give it a half a turn to make the wheel turn to the left. Do the same with the other side. Now test ride, It'll probably be better.

I did this to my rancher too. It has some nasty toe-out from the factory, and pulled to the right a bit. Seems like if you ride in the center of the trail you wont have much of a problem, but sometimes there is a bit of a crown to the trail and riding on the right side will make it pull right, riding on the left will pull left, you get the idea.

Old 11-23-2005, 03:43 PM
Trailblazer
Default Alignment??

Will do. Thank you...

Old 11-23-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Alignment??

The rubicon tires a not in perfect alignment from the factory the tires are supodes to be 22mm wider on the front of the tire conpaired to the back of the tire.

Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer
Default Alignment??

I went through the whole rig-a-maru that you speak of on my 05 rancher AT. I can't tell you how many freakin times I screwed with different alignment settings, didn't help! Mine still pulled to the right, your problem is probably NOT alignment, put equal pressure in your front tires, park on like a garage floor or driveway then measure the height of each tire, The easy way to measure height is get a yard stick and a small T square and slide it down the stick just touching the top of the tire, I bet one of them is taller than the other! I messed around with alignment several different ways and all that does is cause your handlebars to be off center when you make the bike go straight. What I did to fix the problem is put more air in the smaller tire to make them the same size and now the bike
doesn't pull.
If the right tire is smaller that's the direction the bike will pull towards, at least that was the case on my ATV
Good luck and let us all know!

Old 11-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Alignment??

Check all 4 tires for air pressure. Then if they look ok, jack up the front tires and try spinning them..you may have a brake dragging.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default Alignment??

I would say it is probably a alignment issue. Hondas are very bad with that. For instance, my buddy bought a 05 Foreman S and one tire had toe out pretty bad. I bought a 06 Ruby and it had the same problem and on the same side. Dealer fixed it and said for some reason alot of Hondas are like that. But that doesn't mean they all are though. With a little fabrication you could make your own wheel alignment tool. Might have to do a search for some ideas.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default Alignment??

It also dont take much to throw out the alignment in the future, a good smack off a rock or stump can throw it back out. Left unchecked it can ruin a tire for wear like it did on mine.

I always check mine, I take the weight off the front suspension, set the bars where they need to go, using straight edges that extend past the front and rear of the tire, I measure the at the rear and front of the tire to center and adjust the tie rods accordingly.

Old 11-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Alignment??

The problem with taking the weight off the wheels is it causes them to toe back in. If you set them with weight off they will be too far out when you lower the bike. Remember these things don't have a castor or camber setting so as I said in my previous post screwing with the alignment just changes the position of the handlebars.