Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

full exhaust 06 trx450er?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005 | 02:13 PM
Range Rover
Default full exhaust 06 trx450er?

Hondaracer161 - I'm sure you are right, you can build the power system yourself and probably get more power out of it than Honda's HRC Kit. Web Cams have a good rep. Of course you will have to re-jet and change your ignition also. You will end up doing a lot of work testing and tuning to get it to perform, but I know a lot of guys like to do that. It will cost you more overall though, than the HRC Kit.
I like the HRC Kit idea because all warranties are still valid. I extended the warranty to 24 months for $69 with the Honda Protection Plan.

Don't want to step on your thread, but anyone have any expereince running the "8" plug rather than the "7" it comes with ??

Old 12-01-2005 | 10:12 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Morewood, I know that it will need to be re-jetted, but i'm not sure what you mean change the ignition, please explain, I put a 440 kit , cam, exhaust, high rev box on my 400 ex,and didn't need to change the ignition, Thanks

Old 12-02-2005 | 02:05 PM
Range Rover

To get the real power you want you need to get that extra 1000 or so rpm that the 440 Rev Box, or the Predator CDI box, or in the case of the 450R HRC Kit, the wiring harness change provides. The HRC Kit replaces a section of the 450R ignition wiring harness to gain this additional rpm.

I'm sure you know that you will need to "open the airbox" to get that additional airflow in to take advantage of the other mods you are making. I am no expert, but I have built power systems on my other quads over the years, and I know they can be tricky to "tune in". And that's why I say some guys like to do this work, and others don't. I am getting kind of tired of doing the changes and then tuning them in to match for optimum power. These 4-strokes are not as easy to work on as the 2-strokes used to be!

In the case of the HRC Kit all the trial and error has been done for me, and the changes have been "designed" as a package to perform well and still maintain the quad's reliability. And remain under warranty. My HRC Kit 450R really flys!

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:39 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Alright Morewood, I understand what you are saying now, maybe I should have the HRC kit installed, get the goodies from Honda, cam, ignition, etc. and then add the pro flow design air filter, and Sparks full exhaust, and I should still be able to take advantage of the Honda warranty, Realizing I will be spending some x-tra cash. What do you think? Thanks

Old 12-05-2005 | 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Hondaracer161 - Interesting question....I am just now looking at the Pro Flow intake and K&N setup, because I ride mostly sand. Rocky Mountain ATV has that package for about $125 (p/n 49582), I think. Alba also has an air intake package for a bit less, with a cone shaped K&N.
What I don't know is: Will I really get better performance by changing my air filter and intake?
The 06 Honda has a greatly increased air filter size (1.4 times bigger than 04-05), and the Kit opens the air box (lid off).

If I were riding a lot of dirt, I would stick with the foam filter, as foam does better with the dust.

I am also trying to find out if I will get better performance with an aftermarket silencer. Honda HRC Kit modifies the original silencer for better exhaust performance, and better sound. Since the stock silencer looks pretty good as is, I am leaving it for now and waiting to hear from others what their experiences may be. The HRC Kit provides a new header pipe designed for this level of performance. I suppose if you added a complete aftermarket system it might do even better, but that really increases the investment.

BTW - Alba also has a performance kit that they install on the 06 450R. I think they use a Web cam.

This HRC Kit 06 Honda really rips....amazing performance....snappy like a two-stroke, and also outruns the piped and jetted two-strokes. I haven't been beaten yet, and I hope to run against the modified 700 Raptor and the piped 06 YFZ450 in a couple weeks. I expect to beat the 700, and I expect the piped YFZ to be close. We'll see. It's all FUN.

Old 12-05-2005 | 11:25 PM
Trailblazer

What does the HRC Kit come with?

Old 12-06-2005 | 02:47 PM
Range Rover

I don't have my HRC Kit book with me today, but the Kit includes a number of items....air box mods to let more air in, cam changeout and adjustments, a new header pipe to allow more exhaust flow out, silencer mods to allow more exhaust outflow and provide improved sound (not quieter), and wiring harness mod for increased rpm.
You can google on trx450R and find lots of information. also do a search on this forum and you will find a link to the actual HRC Kit with pics, and also trx450R.ORG has a lot of info pertinent to your decision.

Just let me assure you that the Kit makes a HUGE difference in the peformance, from my experience and that of my friend. I also rode his 450R stock before I bought mine with Kit installed. He rode his stock for three weeks, then modded it. He called me up and said: "I have just two words for you....HOLY SH$T !!"
Honda claims about 25% increase in power, to about 50 hp, which is sort of a racer's milestone of power needed on these 350 lb quads. I now believe Honda's claim.
This power is probably more needed in the dunes where I ride, or on the track....not so much needed in the woods.

If you are truly going to race this quad for $$$ or even just bragging rights, and if money is no concern, then you will probably get even more performance by building a complete system....and some folks have already blazed a trail for you. If you do plan to do some real racing, you will need to widen the front and definitely change out the tires, I would think. I don't do that level of racing nor do I ride much dirt. We race on the dunes and up the sand walls. So I have widened the front (and back) a bit with offset wheels and sand tires.

Old 12-07-2005 | 03:00 PM
Range Rover

And , of course, I forgot, the jetting changes in the HRC Kit.