Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450ES skidplates/tires...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-1999, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to www.itptires.com and check out the new Trail Wolf tires. Their tread pattern is similar to your stock tires, but have an extra thick sidewall and a 4 ply rating. They are available in the same 25x8-12, and 25x10-12 sizes that are on your 450ES and will mount right on your stock rims.

Old 07-23-1999, 02:45 PM
Trailblazer

I recently received my 2000 450ES and love it! I have OXLITE boot protectors which also act as A-arm guards.They work well and look quite good.I purchases the DG Performance full chassis and rear diff skid plates for this quad (so I thought...)My dealer ordered the skidplates for the 450 but received the skid plates for the Foreman 400.He called DG a few times apparently and they stated that these were also for the 450 model. The problem...They don't readily fit.With some serious modification I beleive they could be made to work.My question is has anyone used the DG's and had similar problems?Were they designated Foreman 400 or 450? I'm feeling like my dealership made an error.Can anyone give me info on any other skidplate brands that are of excellent quality and are essentially bolt on.(For now the DG's are in the garage-most likely to be returned.)Web address and phone #'s greatly appreciated.
Tire problem...On my third ride, I punctured my sidewall on my right rear tire.(why do they put crappy 2 plies on from the factory?!!!!)A tire plug is currently holding but will not do.I am in the market for a similar tread pattern and size.Not interested in a larger mud tire for now.Has anyone used the TITAN 489 A/T's?Are they OK on snow and in all general environments?I'm hoping they will hold up better than the inferior Dunlops that came with my quad.Any reccomendations?How about the ITP steel wheesls.Are they worthy and do they "bolt on" or will I need to make modifications if I get them?Once again, info on places to buy would be great.So far I have Rocky Mountain ATV in mind...

Thanks.
2000 450ES Red.

Old 07-23-1999, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

I had an Arctic Cat 454 with the Titan 489's on it from the factory. I never once had a flat on them. Traction-wise they were pretty good in the mud and mediocre in the snow.

Conversely, my new Big Bear is equipped with Dunlops, (probably the same as your machine has), and I have had two flat tires in conditions that haven't even approached what I drove the Arctic Cat through. I suspect that if I keep this machine for long, I will replace them. The Titans were remarkably durable tires. I believe that most new Polaris and all new Arctic Cats have them.

------------------

Old 07-26-1999, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gordon is right, "High Lifter's" skid plate is very good. I purchased one not too long ago after I purchased "Aluminum Products" bash plate and stick guards. With this combination, it's just a bulletproof machine. I think "Aluminum Product's" Bash plate is much better than HL's, and the stick guards from "AP" are just great! This is thick Aluminum from "AP", and almost to my opinion impossible to get bent. The reason I chose AP's bash plate over HL's is that I had no need for diamond plate Aluminum. Even that the bash plate is higher above ground I still ram into logs, mud, or much of anything else that I felt of which the diamonds will catch dabrie. That I didn't won't. Plus for only $42 compared to HL's $70. But I just could not let go of HL's skid plate. This is just a great product; I can slide across objects when before I would get hung and then having to pick up the front or back end to get loose. I also do better through thick mud, and ruts, as of which I just slide through better. I will be happy to supply any more information if you need; I can also send you pictures of my 450ES setup with all the products on it.

ARRON

PS I also have a picture of HL's skid plate on my ES; as of I did flip it last weekend and it fell flat upside down! So I took that opportunity to take a picture of what my ES looked like underneath.

Old 08-02-1999, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to see the pics of your ES please. Send them to hotshot120@hotmail.com

Old 08-03-1999, 06:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Titans are found on Arctic Cats. The '99s came with 25x10x10. My friend owns one and he seemed unstoppable. They did well in water, mud, dirt, and snow. Definitely a tire to have!

Steel rims? I had some. Very heavy compared to aluminum. The added weight helps for deep water crossing but I still ended up bending one from a bad wheelie-landing (mistake made while climbing up a steep hill). Anyhow, I was told that the Douglas .190 is much stronger - and lighter because of it's aluminum construction. Custom look, too!

------------------
William Hayes '96 Yamaha Big Bear SE Juneau, Alaska

[This message has been edited by rrinc (edited 08-03-1999).]

Old 09-08-1999, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Hey Aaron,

How does the AP bash plate match up to the HL skid plate? Any gaps in between?

Old 09-08-1999, 10:14 PM
mud
Weekend Warrior

i would like to see the pic send it to swamper300@hotmail.com

Old 09-18-1999, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer

Is the HL belly plate just a flat piece of aluminum? PRM makes one that has a lip around the edge, which I think would make it a little stronger. It's cheaper too!!

[This message has been edited by honda_450es (edited 09-18-1999).]

[This message has been edited by honda_450es (edited 09-19-1999).]

Old 09-20-1999, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

PRM...?? what does that stand for, I just purchased AP's bash plate and stick guards.. I love em' there heavy duty and cost a whole heck of a lot less than HL's . Please let me know who this is and how much the skid plate cost.
Thanks
FOREMANes

Quick Reply: 450ES skidplates/tires...