Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

any tricks to cold starting 200sx ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tricks to cold starting 200sx ?

i took my 200sx out the other day here in Wi to play in the snow for a bit.. it was the only day for a while i was going to have time.. was let off work because it was to cold to be outside or so the boss said.. so i went home and went out to decorate the snow a bit.. took it out of the semi warm garage rode around the neighborhood for about 20 min then came home and went in to warm up for a few.. when i came back out she didnt want to start real well. not at all not even after a good cranking on and off for about 2 or 3 min . . choked it.. still didnt want to .. pumped the throttle which i probably shouldent of done cuz it gave out a huge backfire.. i was looking on the driveay for shrapnel from the rings *LOL it was all good though fired up a few seconds after that and was able to keep it running with the choke to get it to warm back up . any tricks to cold starts an these ?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your plug might be on the verge of fouling...start out by putting a new one in. For Winter in WI, you'll definitely want to go one heat range hotter. I think the standard is NGK 8 heat range...use a NGK 7 heat range. For example, if your standard is NGK D8ES...in Winter use an NGK D7ES. Buy a spare or two. Start there.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Go to any gas station and pick up a bottle of engine starter. It is usually by the car oil and that type of stuff. Take off the air filter and spray it directly into the air intake. Give it a kick and it should start right up. Last weekend my buddy could not get his 250r started for the life if him. He kicked it for about 20 min. We tried to jump start it, nothing worked. We went and got a $2 can of engine starter and it started on the first kick. Trust me, this stuff works wonders in the cold winter wisconsin days.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

If you do use the stuff don't get trigger happy because when it enters the cylinder it will wash the lubrication off the walls and so you could scratch the walls very quickly. Just use sparingly and you should be alright.

Old 12-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Trailblazer

thanks for the help.. ill keep the plug heat range in mind. the either i wont do tho cuz i know what that can do to an engine . i spose nothing really wants to start all that well in zero degree weather .. my sleds used to have trouble at times even .. .. thanks for all of the suggestions tho . i will get an extra plug or two to put in the rear compartment.. i set the carb to factory specs just recently too.. i rebuilt it and then had it running like a top.. accept it falls on its face when its cold.. but once warm idled like a top.. so then i went to factory settings on the carb and that seems it may be a little rich.. it bogs just a tuch when you hammer the throttle hard.. i geuss i should of mentioned that i did that too.. but anyways.. ill lean that out first and change the plug heat range and see what that does.. thanks for all of your help !.. you people are great