Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

idle speed 2001 magnum 325 (air cooled)

Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle speed 2001 magnum 325 (air cooled)

One more thing to learn when buying an unfamiliar machine....When I initially start the machine I have to keep my finger on the throttle to keep in running. The dealership told me these are touchy machines and the cold idle has to be that low on start-up because as the engine warms the idle increases. if it gets too high, it won't engage in gear. I haven't messed with it too much yet but it not so easy having my 13 year old have to learn how to feather the throttle in order to keep it running and get it in gear. Is that info correct I received? Shouldn't I be able to increase the idle a little so that it can idle on it's own without having to worry that the idle will go too high and not allow engagement of the clutch??

When I add a little choke it makes the machine die so that option didn't work...

Thanks...and yes my daughter loves her new(to her) machine. Haven't gone on a long ride yet, just letting her get used to the machine before we go on a "serious" ride. Also, she has her atv safety certification at the end of this month to make her trail legal....Yup.. Dad now has an extra excuse to go ride...brilliant.......Oh yeah Mom went to the dealership and sent me a picture of the "red' one she wants...

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you adjusted the slack at the throttle lever to 1/8" play only?
One of the problems on ALL the 325 engines is that the fuel screw(pilot or idle screw) as some call it are often set way to lean.This is under the block off plug under the carb. Take an 1/8" drill bit and drill CAREFULLY through the plug.Stop when it goes through as there is a brass adjusting screw behind it. Take a dry wall screw,hand screw it in the plug and wiggle it around and remove it.COUNT the turns until the fuel screw light seats inward.I've found a couple that were set less than one turn out,one that was completely closed from the factory. This poor owner had to keep it on choke until it warmed up. Wasn't sold by our dealer ship or I would have caught it before it left the place. Make sure you have it at 2-2 1/2 turns out and then you can warm it up and use the idle screw to set it at a good idle speed. Starting should be easy in the mornings after that.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda of forgot about the cable slack..I'll try that first. Do you have any pictures or diagrams that show the plug? Is is rubber, plastic, metal.. I'm a little nervous just randomly drilling holes LOL.. Do you silicone the plug hole when the adjustments are made??

Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Not that big of a deal to remove the aluminum plug. Plus no need to plug the hole. Here's a similar carb that shows the plug.

Attached Thumbnails idle speed 2001 magnum 325 (air cooled)-mixture_screw.jpg