Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

EX or Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EX or Z

You make it sounds as if it is a common problem, which it is not. I am a little partial to Honda, but you can't deny that the Z is a great, RELIABLE machine. Let a few Z400 owners come in here and say that they are replacing timing chains all the time and then I will give it to ya.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

I own a 400ex and not a Z, and Im saying the Z would be a better choice![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 12:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX or Z

I'm not sure if the previous link worked so here is some more results.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Now tell me if this sounds like a common problem.........Hmmmmmmm[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 12:58 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default EX or Z

Dude, these are a couple complaints from over a 2 year span! LMAO, not to mention a most of these "few" problems are from guys with motor work, or guys that have let their valve clearances get out of whack. A 400ex will do the same thing if you let the valve clearances get to far out of spec.

Besides, it's not like you have a topic with multiple pages of complaints, try again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

Go to ATVriders.com and look around there and see what I mean. I raced my 400ex for 4 years, and checked the valves periodically..........they needed adjustment once...........How much more trouble free could it get? Sorry I didn't search the world over for your results..............I have a life.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: RIDER11X
Go to ATVriders.com and look around there and see what I mean. I raced my 400ex for 4 years, and checked the valves periodically..........they needed adjustment once...........How much more trouble free could it get? Sorry I didn't search the world over for your results..............I have a life
LOL, oh I see, changing your tune now. If there is a major issue with a machine there is easily thread to be found on it, especially this one since it is one of the most popular.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

And a Z400 with bolt-ons will probably only need an adjustment once over a 4 year span, what is your point?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

What does your life consist of? Getting your jollies by trying to get people to buy a Honda? I actually ride these machines, I don't need to hear things over the internet to gain some knowledge.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

Didn't the EX go way up in price since they got new plastic? Like $1500 ! At that price I don't think that the EX is worth the price tag. May as well get the R.

Old 12-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

I have always been a honda guy. until i bought my wife a 05 z400. I love this machine. I have only riden it in the trails it is quick and nibble my ex is more of a tractor than the z400. If I had to choose a new one today I would buy A Z400 for sure!
also my wife wont let me ride her z400 anymore.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

Originally posted by: 04trx250ex
ok 400ex or z400, which one of these quads is better for rutted dificult trails? which one is better for steep hill climbs? and which is a better duner?
This is an easy one:

rutted difficult trails = 400ex especially with 22" Raxr2 tires.
steep hill climbs = z400 due to the faster rev and added power. However, if it is really technical climbing around rocks and trees, I would give the edge to the 400ex due to being able to lug the engine more.
better duner = z400 basically the same as going up a steep hill, faster revs and added power.
better mx = toss up. I prefer the 400ex as I would describe the z400 as being tippier similar to the original Raptor. A 400ex corners better. Obviously money can fix any design problem.

Problem is you can't buy a new 400ex with reverse right now. Honda has stopped the sale of the 400ex due to what will end up being a recall. There is an issue with a spring that is supposed to stop you from going into reverse accidently. Several people have been able to downshift too hard while in the air and get it into reverse....pleasant experience I am sure.

IMO, 1st choice would be a used 2000-2004 400ex then do mods with the savings, a new z400, then hmmm....would I buy a new 400ex? I doubt it. AFter you ride it for 10 hours it will be used too. I would just save the money and get the used one from the start.

/Jon

Old 12-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider
Default EX or Z

A couple of extras on the z are, liquid cooling, and piggyback shocks on the front.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:00 AM
Range Rover
Default EX or Z

[quote]
Originally posted by: motox26

LOL, oh I see, changing your tune now. If there is a major issue with a machine there is easily thread to be found on it, especially this one since it is one of the most popular.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

And a Z400 with bolt-ons will probably only need an adjustment once over a 4 year span, what is your point?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

What does your life consist of? Getting your jollies by trying to get people to buy a Honda? I actually ride these machines, I don't need to hear things over the internet to gain some knowledge.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Well I gave you some quick examples to wet your appetite, and you don't even appreciate them??????? LOL!
The Z400's in those posts were less than 3 years old and suffering from timing ailments........Not good IMO. My 400ex was raced for over 4 years without any motor work other that oil and filter changes, and one valve adjustment. Not bad at all.
Now, another comparison.........Womens GNCC champ Traci Cecco logged over 300 racing hours on her YFZ450 with no motor problems or failures at all, before rebuild........Most machines log 65-70 hrs per year if ridden often........300hrs of use translates to 4.5 years of use by most people......More than the common less than 3 years on the z400 before problems........And not a Honda........Yamaha is even surpassing Suzuki!....LOL!

BTW, my life is working for Honda as they pay me for every promotoinal post I put up for them to sell their machines.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Naa, don't think so..... OK, my life is to annoy people that talk bad about Honda......Naa! I just try to help other riders by using my experiance, and learn from others at the same time on the forums....Take for what you want.........It makes no difference to me at all. Really.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]