Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Foreman 450 Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Foreman 450 Front End Noise

I have a Foreman 450 S and when I was out riding the other day there seem to be an intermittent clanking noise comming from the left front. When I got home I noticed that there is some differetial fluid leaking from where the shaft goes into the diff housing also there is some play in the shaft when I grab and shake it. Is this cause from my bearings and oil seal gone bad?

Old 12-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

Possibly, but it really doesn't sound like bearings to me. I had my bearings go out and they produce a very identifiable sound. It's like grinding, shrieking and then more grinding. The wheel will be loose and you shouldn't have diff fluid leaking. Sounds like your problem is with the gear in the diff housing.

If it is your bearings, they are pretty easy to replace even if they are corroded in there--as long as you have the right tools. I replaced mine with Highlifter sealed bearings and they are great.

bd

Old 12-14-2005, 05:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I do here a grinding noise but as of now I have far worse problems...I just flipped it tonight and just got back from the hospital. Had to get 4 stiches in my chain and three chipped teeth ..no big deal though but the bike is going to need a little work. Thanks for the reply though.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you'll recover fine. At least you'll have something to research on the internet while you're mending. If you don't already have it, buy the Clymer Manual. It's really good for the Foreman 450. I have the Honda Shop Manual, Clymer and the Haynes. The Clymer is the best. It has extensive troubleshooting sections that may help you find the problem.

One thing you need to check also is your CV shaft and boots--that could be the source of your leak and noise. If you had some damage to a shaft spline it could cause the whole joint to fail.

bd

Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Could be so many different things, you really have to check it out. Check the wheel for lateral play, could show a bad wheel bearing or ball joint, a cracking sound when turning could be a bad CV, you can check that by holding the inner joint and rotating the wheel, should not be too much play here.

If you have an oil leak at the diff, you need a new diff seal, and as a precaution I'd replace that bearing too. Its not a big job to haul the diff out and take it apart to clean it. You want to get all mud, water and dirt out of there or you could ruin all the bearings and the gears too.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

my freinds 450 had the bolts in the ring gear back out and it took out the whole front end so becarful or you might get into trouble and lots of money, they replaced his but he had to fight for it, it was a 450 es fourman