Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Another non downshifting Rancher

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 Rancher ES sitting here in 5th. gear and won't downshift with the electric or manual shift, upshifted fine. HELP!

Old 11-02-2000, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

call honda, they will fix it i bet,lota 2000 es models hada problem, keep us posted .

Old 11-03-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

You have two sensors on your quad both near the bottom of the motor. Disconnect both & clean them out, if you do much water or mud riding then add some dielectric grease. Reattach the two sensors.

If this doesn't work then check your shift button assembly. Disasseble this clean & check the contacts.

If either of these do not work then take her back to the dealer.

Old 11-03-2000, 04:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Called Honda, but had no luck getting them to make it up. They said must pay.

Old 11-03-2000, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

The electric shifter trys to work in the down position but will not shift and the manual shifter will not shift either.
Cannot start unless in neutral, mine is stuck in 5th.

Old 11-03-2000, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer

here's what you do, bring your machine to the dealer and let them find the problem. if it's an expensive problem to fix, tell them to ask their factory rep if they can cover the cost under the good will program. i just got my machine back from the shop because it wouldn't shift. they told me i would most likely be paying because the 6 month coverage period was over. they said honda is real picky about fixing things for free. well, they fixed my machine for free, my angle sensor was bad. it was the first time they ever saw that problem, i belive that honda will stand behind their product, they just put up a front. i think they like to handle things as they come up and will do their best to keep customers happy. honda's competition would love to get a hold of a story of a new machine that broke and honda wouldn't fix it(especially something out of the norm). take it in and see what happens, i did and was expecting the worst but was suprised with the best possible outcome- no charge!! later -dana

Old 11-04-2000, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

I have heard from a Honda rep that if you power shift the ES alot the shifting arm can get bent.
If the arm is bent, it would not have enough leverage to shift down.

Old 11-04-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Do you have a service manual. There is a whole chapter dedicated to this issue and tracking down a solution.

Old 11-04-2000, 11:06 PM
mic
Weekend Warrior

I am In the same boat, 5th and stuck. Seems honda may need to take a look at this issue. I ordered the service manual online ($10.00 cheeper than what the dealer wanted). thanks for the info.

Old 11-04-2000, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

Warrenwld,

My Rancher has the exact same problem right now and I just took it to the dealer yesterday, if yours is still under warranty I would just take it to the dealer and let them deal with it. When I took mine to the dealer they showed me that it will start in gear by using the recoil starter, they said they had never seen this problem before but think maybe one of the sensors could be bad.

Quick Reply: Another non downshifting Rancher