Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Safest Honda utility quad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005 | 08:02 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Safest Honda utility quad?

This writer believes the 06 Rincon to be one of the safest utility quads of all time.
http://atvscene.com/machines/honda/r...idetest-06.htm
From what I have seen on this site about stability of solid axle quads and better resistance to roll over especially on side hills, this opinion seems to be a real stretch. Seems to me that for some situations the Rancher could be the safest while for other situations the safest might be the Foreman, or Rubicon. Just don't understand the blanket comment that the 06 Rincon should get safest quad title.

Old 12-28-2005 | 09:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Lack of low speed engine braking, makes the Rincon a disaster waiting to happen, IMO. For the ultimate in control, sometimes you just need to put a machine in 1st gear and creep down a technical descent at 2mph using engine braking.

Around here, these big cushy utes usually end up in the hands of frail senior citizens (looking for that "SUV ride"), who are the folks most likely to get killed in a rollover.

Old 12-28-2005 | 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I have a question. Do sport quads have engine braking? I know that my Polaris Trailboss does not. So why is it such a big deal on a Rincon. According to Honda, it is a Sport-Utility. Not a Utility.

Old 12-28-2005 | 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

There are some machines that are inherently unsafe, IMO. The Polaris with it's rear only engine braking comes to mind as does the Rincon with no low speed engine braking. But, trying to name the safest quad is an exersise in futility. Each will be better in some situations and worse in others. The machine's ability in relation to the rider's skill is the biggest factor IMO.

A lot also has to do with how comfortable you are on a particular quad. I usually ride with a couple of Grizzlies, a Kodiak 450, a Rancher 350, a Warrior and a Polaris 700. We usually switch off here and there. But when we come to a really challenging section of trail, I want my Rubicon back. Not necessarily because it's better, but because I know exactly what the limitations are of me on that machine. So for me, the Rubi is the safest quad. I'm sure the other riders in my group would say their quad is safer for them (except the Polaris guy who bounces the *** end of his quad off of every tree on steep downhills).

Old 12-29-2005 | 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ForemanDan
Ok, I have a question. Do sport quads have engine braking? I know that my Polaris Trailboss does not. So why is it such a big deal on a Rincon. According to Honda, it is a Sport-Utility. Not a Utility.
Actually "sport quads" do have engine breaking a true sport quad has a manual clutch and will engine brake until the engine quits... your Trailboss is not a "sport quad" just merly a sport utility

Hondas are all safe because they are so slow lol

jk guys i love the hondas, used to own a 450 forman, very nice machines

Old 12-29-2005 | 09:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

My experience riding my friend's IRS machines, has been that in off-camber situations the suspension on the low side tends to "dive". This is not a feature that enhances the "safety" of a machine!

Old 12-29-2005 | 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

you guys are taking his comments out of context, he said safest at speed - not rock crawling or decending slopes or busting through a mud pit

My Rubicon could never be considered safe at speed, it's too damn stiff and bounces all over the place on bumpy trails at speed. I can keep up with almost anyone on a 4x4 ATV, but it's a chore. I don't think the Foreman or Rancher are any better.

Old 12-29-2005 | 12:29 PM
|
Pro Rider

According to this article the engine braking problems of 03 - 05 Rincons may have been addressed by Honda in the redesigned tranny but still doubt if it could ever be as secure down hill as a good old light weight manual shift Rancher. I will probably buy a Honda ute this year so this safety and comfort issue is important to me. I think the decision will be made based on a comparison of the comfort and higher speed/easy terrain safety of the Rincon versus low speed stability/safety, lower price, and reliability of Rancher or Foreman manual shift. When I have need and opportunity to open things up I think I would take the EX or XR anyway.

Old 12-29-2005 | 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Im not sure how anyone could say one is safer than the other.
How is that being measured?and whats being measured?
By far, the driver is the biggest factor in safety, not the machine.

Old 12-29-2005 | 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

My Rubicon could never be considered safe at speed, it's too damn stiff and bounces all over the place on bumpy trails at speed. I can keep up with almost anyone on a 4x4 ATV, but it's a chore. I don't think the Foreman or Rancher are any better.
My Rancher has never seen "speed"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Safest Honda utility quad?