Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Warn 424 install on rancher - have you done it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 424 install on rancher - have you done it?

Hi,

ordered a warn 424 select today for a 2006 rancher ES.

I saw this review of an install with pictures 424 install pictures and saw the guys had the machine straight up and down and had some crow bars in there. Do I need to drain the fluids and plan on uprighting this machine for the installation?

I ordered it today so should receive it Friday, I'd like to have it in this weekend. Although I'm not fond of the idea of uprighting the machine and having oils and gas making there way were they shouldn't inside the engine... (might be overthinking that last statement but you get the idea)

424 installers please advise. Any successful techniques would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anybody came up with a convenient yet not so abtrusive buttom location? Was actually thinking of putting it inside the compartment on the front left side - it's used for basically nothing escept a glove compartment - it probably is of the same mold as the rancher AT where it has a fwd/n/rev shifter but the es just has a triangular compartment...

Thank you

Old 01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Range Rover

You don't have to upright the machine at all. The lack of an ATV lift probably led to the decision to upright the machine in the pics. Easiest way to install is to jack the front end and remove the front wheels. Unbolt the front diff and remove the drive shaft. Reassemble in reverse order replacing the drive shaft with the 424. You will need help, the splined shaft can be a pain to get lined up.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

yes, it's very simple. You dont have to stand the machine on end. Simply put a jack under the frame and remove the left front wheel. You dont have to remove the right side. Then remove the plastic rear fender liner to expose the propeller shaft a little more, then unbolt the front diff from the frame, and slide it forward to disengage the shaft from the engine, then just give the shaft a pull out away from the diff assembly, it just snaps in with a snap ring, you'll see when you get it out.

install is reverse order, adding a few steps to route the cable and bolt the holding strap. Also, see if you can pick some of the old grease off the splines of the old shaft and put on the new shaft. It's special moly grease, either that or just buy a tube of it

It took me about 2 hrs total by myself to do this.

Old 01-11-2006, 11:03 AM
Trailblazer

Awesome education guys! This forum is great.

Didn't feel real comfortable with the machine being vertical for an extended amount of time.

I do have one of those craftsman ATV jacks. Would it work ok if I jacked the entire machine all the way up In the center? Or is their an advantage to jacking the front end up.

The Littel Red Button - where did you mount it? if you had any pictures litegide24@sbcglobal.net What do you think of mounting it inside that little glove compartment on the front left side? Not sure how vulnerable the cable length is or how flexible it is. Would prefer a clean look but also want it user friendly.

My sons fourtrax 90's choke is located up inside under the plastic, I end up reaching around for a minute sometimes just to find it : ))

Thanks!

Old 01-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Pro Rider

When you do it, put it in from the right side (what ever side is opposite the front drive shaft.)

Take off the black plastic bottom part of the fender, the innner fender and floor board (if applicable), makes it alot easier to get at stuff. Other then that the instructions from Warn are fantastic, follow them to the letter and you'll have no troubles. Bank on a few hours to do it yourself, really taking your time, they can be done in under an hour by a pro.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I wrote this back in 2003. I have done alot of these.

Well the select shifts best when moving under power. If you try to shift it standing still you have a 50/50 chance that the spines are lined up for the unit to go in. Some times you will have to rock the quad for them to line up. As the unit wears it gets a little easer to use.

Here are some hints.

If you stand the quad on the rear rack. Pull both front wheels the inner fender left side. It makes removal and install a lot easer. After unbolting the front diff. use a pry bar through a frame hole to raise the diff. Mount the strap holder and strap to the unit and leave it a little loose. Put the snap ring and spring from the old shaft onto the new one. The rubber boot will hold the spring and yoke from coming apart when you try to install it. Slide the select onto the front diff first then pull up on the yoke real hard to get it over the output shaft of the motor. Remove the two ***** and slide the housing through the hole for the rack and mount it on the left side (Rubicon right side). Do not forget to mount your strap to the frame.

I hope these hints help.

Old 01-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Trailblazer

harw,

you said the select shifts best when under power making it easier for the splines to go in? If

I'm totally confused, are you talking about the install or once it's installed? I'm wondering if you're meaning to start it up when the wheels are off in the process of the changeout and put it in gear to rotate the shaft... (to align the splines)

The strap holder - is that something that's included w/the kit or is that something I'd need to get to help the install go smoother?

If the atv is stood upright will that not cause oil and gas to run into different parts of the engine?

I may be babbling because I don't have the kit yet, should be here tomorrow afternoon, allot of this may be in the instruction...

Thanks

Old 01-12-2006, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

I have installed one of these as well. I didn't stnad my bike on end, but I have done that for other reasons numerous times. Each time, all I do is turn off the gas at the tank, then run the bike till it quits to get the gas out of the carb, never a problem so far.

harw is referring to switching between 2 and 4 wheel drive, and he is correct. It is easier to shift when in motion.

The strap holder comes with the kit, as do generic instructions with pictures.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

Litegide....did you not receive an email from me with a link to pictures of my Warn 424 installation?

Old 01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Trailblazer

Drumman,

I didn't get any email... Did you send it to litegide24@sbcglobal.net ?

If you could resend it that would be great!

I'm looking forward to this install, hopefully it'll be here tonight (UPS is scheduled to deliver) I'm going to put on the new grip and thumb warmers tonight and then tomorrow after work will start the 424.

The info from all the posts is fantastic!

Thanks

Quick Reply: Warn 424 install on rancher - have you done it?