Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Auto Tranny or Shift for Reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Tranny or Shift for Reliability?

Shows how much you know......not all belt drives use a slipping belt to take off with.......do a little research......or do I have to supply you with links?
All rubber belt drives slip, just because your belt is tight at idle doesn’t mean it never slips. Maybe some machines (like ATVs) don’t have enough power to require yearly belt changes or cause heat cracks in the sheaves from a glazed belt slipping, but they all slip.

Belt CVTs don’t have a “wet clutch” like that of a constant mesh tranny. Some belts have a centrifugal clutch that happens to be in oil, to make up for belt CVT engagement and engine braking issues. But, just because the microfiche author uses similar terms does not make them function similarly. If you don’t get it, you should do some research.

A CVT engine can’t really be controlled at any other RPM than what the clutch is tuned to shift at. Some skilled drivers prefer to use different parts of the torque curve for different situations. Can’t do that with a CVT, but how much skill is really required on these things……not much. Yet some like me prefer it, I use ESP 90+% of the time.

While belt CVTs keep the RPM at the engine’s most efficient RPM (what some confuse as overall efficiency), the belt drive itself robs power due to slipping and force required to keep slipping to a minimum. So, a gear drive at 1 to 1 (and the Hondamatic at 1 to 1) are more efficient than any current atv belt drives are. Steel belts are getting close.

Automatics though? Who buys a Vette or Ferrari with an automatic? How about a Cup car with an auto? Or a GT prototype? F1s may not have a clutch pedal anymore, but they aren’t Turbo 400s either. Automatics are fine where precise control of the drive wheels is not critical.

You belt drive enthusiasts really should relax when someone picks on it. Why so sensitive? I could really care less what other people think about my transmission. Belt CVTs have come a long way, but it isn’t the best thing since sliced bread. I prefer a manual too, I prefer that level control a belt CVT cannot offer.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider

Does my rancher with the constant mesh tranny have a wet clutch?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

it has both the traditional disengageable clutch (which is what the other poster wants, although it is disengaged by the gear shifter instead of hand) for the constant mesh tranny and a centrifugal clutch to allow it to be used without a clutch lever when the RPM is low (idle). My Rubicon has a centrifugal clutch, but not a disengagement clutch. It's not a typical hydraulic tranny like a skid steer or tractor.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

Well so your saying while my Grizz has a clutch the operates in an oil bath that it is not a wet clutch?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

in the context of the other poster, your Grizzly clutch is as much of a wet clutch as if I took the clutch out of my truck and put it in a bucket of water. If I were a simpleton it would be a wet clutch, right?

Old 02-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

"Clutches are usually placed between the driving motor and the input shaft to a machine and provide a convenient means for starting and stopping the machine and permitting the driving motor or engine to be started in an unloaded state"
That is what the Wet clutch on the yamaha does........While there are many different types....any clutch that runs in an oil bath is a wet clutch.
The poster was making the comment that all CVT's are the same and all use the slipping belt to start and to stop and go.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
in the context of the other poster, your Grizzly clutch is as much of a wet clutch as if I took the clutch out of my truck and put it in a bucket of water. If I were a simpleton it would be a wet clutch, right?
Your truck clutch would not function in water or in oil. that would be being a simpleton.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

well all belts slip, so he is sort of right

you are the one that took his clutch comment out of context

Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: propnut
well all belts slip, so he is sort of right

you are the one that took his clutch comment out of context
No I didnt....and you need to research a little more yourself.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

alright now, enough with the semantics. Show me a wet (centrifugal) clutch that doesn't have to rely on a traditional wet friction plate clutch too on a constant mesh ATV or motorcycle tranny and I'll admit you didn't take his comment out of context.

Wet or dry has nothing to do with the function of the clutch, just its longevity.

And yes, all belts slip some. How do you think it climbs the sheaves? It must slip to operate right.

Quick Reply: Auto Tranny or Shift for Reliability?