Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Need help with 06 450r new girl on the block lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 06 450r new girl on the block lol

OK I have an 06 450r when I first got it a few weeks ago I noticed a lil trouble starting it after I had killed it ( I know dont kill it haha) Last weekend I had a Curtis Sparks pipe put on it, jetted, and K&N filter. Since then I have a heck of a time starting it all together on the first start and when I kill it. Sometimes I have to sit there for 5 minutes or more trying to get the dang thing to start. Im so annoyed!! My pops is all freaked bout it he hates the pipe anyway and is thinking of selling it and getting the HRC kit installed. Im not extremely happy with the pipe either cause its loud as heck and I know Im gonna end up with tickets for the noise but my pops bought it and is gonna lose money by selling the pipe now. I dont mind if the HRC kit is the way to go though. PLEASE HELP why does my bike not want to start and what should I do bout this pipe HRC kit issue. What is the best way to go with the 06 450r? I dont ride in the woods or anything just the sand. LOVE THOSE HILL CLIMBS!!! Dont mind just getting on it on the flats either!!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

A guy who sometimes rides with us put the HRC kit on his 05 and it starts easy,I would go with the HRC myself because they have already took the guesswork out of it.You may be able to call Sparks up and see what they recomend on the jetting,sounds like somethings off for sure.(could be rich)Welcome to the forums!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Your jetting is off. Call Sparks and play around with it and it will be > hrc kit by far.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider

Your jetting is off. Sounds like it is to lean. A sparks exhuast is porbley not as good as the hrc kit beause the hrc kit comes with a CAM which makes a huge difference. If you had the hrc cam and the sparks that would be the best of both worlds!

Old 02-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider

You will have to tell us how you changed your jetting and all other mods that are related (air box lid, carb, etc....) Where did you get your jetting specs from??

Old 02-15-2006, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK I have the Curtis Sparks Racing pipe and can. K & N pro flow Filter, no air box lid, 178 main jet, 50 pilot, and sparks needle jet clip on the fourth. I took it in to the shop had it put on the dino and thats the jets the shop put on. HELP HELP HELP

Old 02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I have an '04 450r with a stage II Hotcam, Uni filter, cut open airbox lid (HRC kit style) and an FMF Q2 slip on.
I run a 185 main, 50 pilot and I dropped the clip on the needle to the bottom. I didn't have to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw.

It starts easily unless I stall it while on it's tail or stand it on the grab bar. This floods it out and I have to wait to start it.

The HRC kit on the '06 450r will out perform the mods you have done. Add the HRC kit along with your pipe and it should really rip.

Be careful running the Oregon dunes with the pipe, the noise police WILL get you!

Old 02-15-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

maybe the float level is a little high Also when the motor is hot dont give it any throtle when you try to start it or the starter wont turn the motor over because the TPS advances the timing making it harder to start

Old 02-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the warning. I heard they are very strict down there. Thats one thing I was worried about.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

HRC kit will be installed in the morning. Im not going to put my Sparks setup back on because of the noise thing. I may try the new Sparks pipe though its supposed to be quieter. We will see. I hope all these changes get rid of the starting prob though cause its so irratating.

Quick Reply: Need help with 06 450r new girl on the block lol