Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ATV anti theft

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 08:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV anti theft

How come ATV's dont come with ANTI-theft steering coulm lock like motorcycles? The technolgy is there been on motorcycles for a long time I had a 1979 model with a simple lock.

I am worried that my quad is going to get taken in fact I feel its just a matter of time before my number is up.

Old 02-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATV anti theft

Although a steering lock is a deterrent for a quad, most quad/bike thieves work in small groups and will simply lift it into their truck/trailer and disassemble the lock at their leisure. I recommend removing the key and using a very thick, hardend chain and padlock. A 1/2 inch chain is very hard to cut without very large bolt cutters and the armory style padlock cannot be cut with bolt cutters because the shank isn't exposed.
Other than that, perhaps chain a good dog to your quad!!!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 AM
SFA
Range Rover
Default ATV anti theft

I recomend not to trust anyone... My 250R was stolen by someone I thought was a friend. We were in the process of moving out of one house and into another, he just broke into my old house when we weren't home and took it. Luckily I got it back but it was hammerd. After that I always kept it locked in the barn chained to a large beam.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Range Rover
Default ATV anti theft

Myself i use the K9 security system,,,,you do have to clean up after it though

Old 02-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV anti theft

Do any of you know of an economical way to have a system page you when someone touches your quad?

I would like to use such a system for my motorcycles, cars, Goped, and other items.

Ric

Old 02-18-2006, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!
Default ATV anti theft

I just chain my quads up together with a lawn tractor and all my other power equip.

Old 02-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV anti theft

Is a cable better than a chain?

I just tried to cut a one-quarter-inch steel cable that I was using on a leaning tree with a large bolt cutter. It wouldn't cut with the bolt cutters, so I had to use a carbide cutting wheel on a Dremel tool to cut through it.

Ric

Trending Topics

Old 02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV anti theft

I keep my ATV in the garage and if we are going to be gone I hide the key. I will also chain it to other things just to make it harder to take. I WAS covered by my home owners up until last year. I have state farm and we received a notice saying that any vehicle, including ATV's, were NOT covered by home owners for anything anymore. The notice indicated to get individual insurance for those items. Well the other items I have in my garage are fully insured with either actual cash value or agreed value but the ATV only has liability on it. The full coverage for an '88 is too expensive and then it will only cover up to about $1,100.00.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ATV anti theft

Originally posted by: Fourtrax300
I keep my ATV in the garage and if we are going to be gone I hide the key. I will also chain it to other things just to make it harder to take. I WAS covered by my home owners up until last year. I have state farm and we received a notice saying that any vehicle, including ATV's, were NOT covered by home owners for anything anymore. The notice indicated to get individual insurance for those items. Well the other items I have in my garage are fully insured with either actual cash value or agreed value but the ATV only has liability on it. The full coverage for an '88 is too expensive and then it will only cover up to about $1,100.00.
Hey i just saw you had a fourtrax 300. Me to! Mine is a 93, and they are indestructable i tell ya! I still like the durability of hondas, but went with AC for ground clearance, speed rack, diff lock, and other features. Big difference from that 300 to my 650V2! But I dont think anything will outlast a fourtrax

Old 02-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!
Default ATV anti theft

Originally posted by: ricweber
Is a cable better than a chain?

I just tried to cut a one-quarter-inch steel cable that I was using on a leaning tree with a large bolt cutter. It wouldn't cut with the bolt cutters, so I had to use a carbide cutting wheel on a Dremel tool to cut through it.

Ric
I think the chain is a little more durable, I don't know much about the chain I use but I know its strong, its basically the same stuff my dad uses he moves his equipment, I tried cutting it with 24" bolt cutter and its hard enough to do, plus I keep everything in my locked garage, and the section that my quads/tractor are located is fenced over anyways and the gate is locked. Plus both the locks are contractor grade master locks, not that anyone can be stopped from stealing my stuff, but if they want it they gotta really work at it to get it.

Quick Reply: ATV anti theft