Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Does a warn 424 cause any problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a warn 424 casue any problems

A member form another thread I started stated the His warn 424 caused his quad to pull to the right.SInce I have one on order What other problems have you encountred with the 424 after install.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Does a warn 424 cause any problems

I have one on my 05 Rancher and it doesn't pull to the right or left whether in 4wd or 2wd.
Believe me when I say that once you get it installed, you will love it! The Rancher takes on a whole new disposition in 2wd.....easier steering and the fun factor goes up 100%.

Take your time on the install and enjoy the atv after you get it going. In my opinion, it's the best addition I have ever made to an atv.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:59 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GoodOleBoy
A member form another thread I started stated the His warn 424 caused his quad to pull to the right.SInce I have one on order What other problems have you encountred with the 424 after install.
well that member is a moron, there is no way in hell it affects anything to do with steering

Old 02-21-2006, 06:52 PM
Range Rover

The only way I could see that member having a pull problem would be if he didn't put the two bolts back in the front axle mounting bracket and wacked something causing his wheelbase to change. There is no way the 424 itself could cause such a problem. Don't worry about it, you will really enjoy the fun your Rancher is whipping around in 2WD.

Old 02-21-2006, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

hey jd,
i was looking at your 424 button instal and wondering if you could put up some more pics of where you actually bolted the switch too and how and where you ran the wires?
thanks.. looks like a good clean instal..

Old 02-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

jd, i know you and me fought on the other post about the winch, but i highly recommend you reconsider your placement of your 424 ****, while it looks nice there, although i would prolly burn my self, your going to destroy the **** and locking mechanism in short time, the first 3 mud puddles you hit will completly cover that **** in mud, not to mention if you go through water that thing is going underwater. i allready have had issues with mine not locking -due to dirt and crap locking the ***** in place and mine has never even gotten wet or muddy, yours is in perfect place to get spalshed by every puddle you hit. i would reconsider it or your going to be working on that control alot

Old 02-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

actually looking at it pulled out in 2wd what are you 2 inches from the exhaust pipe? i can't even get close to my header shield in the summer, i definitely would loose skin there

Old 02-21-2006, 10:28 PM
Range Rover

"hey jd,
i was looking at your 424 button instal and wondering if you could put up some more pics of where you actually bolted the switch too and how and where you ran the wires?
thanks.. looks like a good clean instal.. "

They are on their way. If you would like, you can email me for a bunch of different photos.

"jd, i know you and me fought on the other post about the winch, but i highly recommend you reconsider your placement of your 424 ****, while it looks nice there, although i would prolly burn my self, your going to destroy the **** and locking mechanism in short time, the first 3 mud puddles you hit will completly cover that **** in mud, not to mention if you go through water that thing is going underwater. i allready have had issues with mine not locking -due to dirt and crap locking the ***** in place and mine has never even gotten wet or muddy, yours is in perfect place to get spalshed by every puddle you hit. i would reconsider it or your going to be working on that control alot....

actually looking at it pulled out in 2wd what are you 2 inches from the exhaust pipe? i can't even get close to my header shield in the summer, i definitely would loose skin there"

LB, For the record, I didn't think we were fighting, you thought my winch was to expensive, and I obviously didn't. RE: the located of my control cable, we'll see how it goes. I would be as concerned about mud and water in my electric fan motor as I would about the cable itself. If it so proves that mud or water will present a problem in this location (keep in mind I have no desire to submerse my machine such as that in your avatar), I'll correct the problem. Until that time, I'm happy with the location. I wasn't to thrilled about drilling holes in my outer plastics, that's my preference, and it is my machine. As for the distance to the manifold pipe, that photo is a bit deceiving, it is actually about 5 1/2" away, I was able to place my fist between the extended **** and the exhaust without touching either.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure, before you install it or have it installed, that your rear differential (pumpkin) is completely clean and has a full bath of oil inside, like it's supposed to. I neglected to do this on my Rubicon I used to own and just a few miles into the riding with the new 424, some of the teeth on the ring gear inside were actually stripped, now rendering my Rubicon a front-wheel drive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]. This was probably due to the owner before me riding in a lot of mud and sand without maintenance, and my ignorance of not checking this out. At least now you know, if you've ridden in a lot of "corruption" as I like to call it, that a quick check of the rear-end internals should be in order before you put the 424 unit on. After that and the hefty repair bills, it worked fine.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

red im a tad confused as to how exactually you installed your 424, the 424 goes on the front driveshaft not the rear? i know this isn't different for the rubicon as i have installed one for the ruby, can u explain your setup a bit more?

Quick Reply: Does a warn 424 cause any problems