Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

valves floating?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006 | 11:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default valves floating?

I just got a 02 foreman and noticed a ticking when its running I think the valves need to be adjusted. Does this sound right if not what do you think? if its is this an easy fix or should I take it to the dealer and does anybody know what it will run?

Old 02-26-2006 | 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default valves floating?

Valve adjustment is pretty simple if you are at all mechanically inclined.

If you don't have a service manual (factory, or otherwise) it would be a good idea to get one.

Old 02-27-2006 | 10:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default valves floating?

Even though proper valve adjustment is necessary for proper engine operation, the sound of the valves "ticking" is better than not hearing them.

Valves float when they don't seat being the reason from too tight a valve clearance or really high rpm's. At high rpms, and I mean high, valaves can literally not close all the way, depending on camshaft profile, thus they "float".

If valves don't seat, they burn because they are not allowed dissapate the heat to the valve seats and then to the head and cooling fins. If they are ticking, there will be some power loss but you can rest assured your valves are seating.

The old VW Beetle, flat air cooled engines were bad about the valve clearance getting tighter over time. So when valve adjustment was needed, you always set them with a few extra thousandth's to be assured they didn't tighten up and thus burn.

Old 02-27-2006 | 11:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default valves floating?

the only thing is you hear it really a lot more a idle then at higher rpm, I have 27 inch tires on there and I top out at 45 and from what I hear it that this machine should be in the low 50s so its hurting power quite a bit

Old 02-27-2006 | 01:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default valves floating?

Loose valves wont lose power...tight valve lose power.
27 inch tires, and you still hit 45?...id be happy,.... my stock foreman barely hits 50.
And those are classic symptoms of loose valves...noise at idle and as the engine revs, the noise is drowned out by other noises.
Its actually a very easy adjustment, the most work is involved in removing the plastic to gain access.
Id say if you can change tires and oil and fiter...you can handle the valve adjustment. Get the clymers book, and itll step you thru it.
Heres an article on a how to, on a motorcycle, and doing the foreman is very simlar. It has the same adjuster and locknut on the valve rocker.
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/ValveAdjust/

Old 02-27-2006 | 05:37 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default valves floating?

I took it to the honda dealer and right as I started it up the guy said hey its the valves but you also have a bad engine knock and Im probably going to need a new crank, which I cant hear at all so I dont know what to do now I like an other opinion but the next honda dealer is 1 1/2 hours away do you think that a yamaha dealer could check out this so called engine knock or should I make the drive and the machine only has 800miles on it

Old 02-27-2006 | 07:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default valves floating?

And it doesnt make more noise as its revved? He must be a very good mechanic to just do a quick listen and determine the crank is bad. Or did he know the previous owner, and know more than hes letting on.

When was the last time the oil was changed? Does it have 10w40 oil?

Id have the oil pressure checked before doing any opening of the cases.

Old 02-27-2006 | 08:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default valves floating?

no I didnt even rev it for him just idle and it sounds like a normal 4 wheeler when revved really cant hear the tick at all, he didnt know the previous owner but he sad the head gasket has been changed b/c is was new looking, the previous owner said the oil was change last month I look at it and its full and new but I dont know the weight of it.

Old 03-01-2006 | 10:15 AM
Range Rover
Default valves floating?

I would have another dealer look at your quad(or someone that is mechanically inclined on atv's) Replacing the crank is going to cost you alot of money...As said ticking is valves and if there is a bad engine knock it maybe as simple as a loose nut on the clutch....Like I said get some opinions...good luck.

Old 03-01-2006 | 01:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default valves floating?

and the ticking gets louder the longer the engine is on would that still be the valves

Quick Reply: valves floating?