Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Who uses regular oil in their ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who uses regular oil in their ATV's

This has suprised me somewhat. I really figured I would get bashed, but instead some guys thats been here for a long time have stepped up and admitted they also do it. (maybe I finially found a place I fit in ?)

Someone mentioned that I was being a "tight wad" putting my quads at risk, but I don't think of it that way at all. The biggest reason I run the oil I do is because I TRUST it!! I have built many engines in the past, every thing from tractor engines to race car engines (not any NASCAR level) to about anything inbetween, and have never had any problems while running it. I've rode bikes and quads for over 30 years now without a problem. I geuss why fix it if its not broke? I personally have felt, in the past, the manufactors of the oil and the quads have gotten together to market this to pad each others wallets. Why all of a sudden does regular oil not work when for all the years before it was fine? Sure theres going to be exceptions to this but look at all the bikes from the past that lived just fine on "car" oil.

Old 03-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figure oils are like women: You can have an ugly one (low tech petroleum car oil), and that might be just fine for some of you. Or, you can have a pretty one (maybe a petroleum motorcycle specific oil with a descent add pack), and be a lot better off. Or, you can have an awsome one (high tech motorcycle specific synthetic with an awsome add pack), and have heaven on earth!

Remember, with every new higher API grade above SG, car oils just keep getting uglier and uglier!

Old 03-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

This has suprised me somewhat. I really figured I would get bashed, but instead some guys thats been here for a long time have stepped up and admitted they also do it. (maybe I finially found a place I fit in ?)
Someone mentioned that I was being a "tight wad" putting my quads at risk, but I don't think of it that way at all. The biggest reason I run the oil I do is because I TRUST it!! I have built many engines in the past, every thing from tractor engines to race car engines (not any NASCAR level) to about anything inbetween, and have never had any problems while running it. I've rode bikes and quads for over 30 years now without a problem. I geuss why fix it if its not broke? I personally have felt, in the past, the manufactors of the oil and the quads have gotten together to market this to pad each others wallets. Why all of a sudden does regular oil not work when for all the years before it was fine? Sure theres going to be exceptions to this but look at all the bikes from the past that lived just fine on "car" oil.
Well said asfasasu3.
Some people now days think you can't keep an engine alive without using a synethetic oil. I throw the BS flag on that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

i use 10w40 0n my o3 rancher make sure it does not have detergents in it like in car oil or the clutch will have problems and ive heard valvoline was not very good i was told to use amsoil or castrol synthetic

Old 03-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

i used castrol 10w 40 in all of my bikes and had no problems.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

HMM this is a good thread, lots of options on what are GOOD oils and which are NOT what you should be putting in them.
This is one of the most inportant things about a motor. I have rebuilt tons of ATV and BIKE motors all because someone couldn't take the time or forgot to change there oil.
Now far as what is a good type of oil to be using in ATV's or BIKEs, if it's under warrenty use the FACTORY oil and keep your slips. You don't want to have a motor failure and tell them that you were using CAR oil. They can deine you a motor during your warrenty period. They don't say in your owners manual that you have to use there's but I have seen this happen at my dealership too many times.

Far as the rest use what every you think is good. I have a honda rubicon and will only use Honda oil, because that is what Honda has tested that motor with.

I have hade tons of people come up and say that they have a shifting problem with there Ricon, and guess what they aren't using Honda oil. If you have a automatic that uses the oil to dirve them don't use anything but the factory oil. Those people hade Amsoil in there's and guess what problem sovled when they changed back to Honda oil

Old 03-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

They can deine you a motor during your warrenty period. They don't say in your owners manual that you have to use there's but I have seen this happen at my dealership too many times.
>>>>>>>>

IF their stated reason for denying a warranty claim was because a person didn't use their brand of oil then they are violating the law. As long as the oil you use is rated per the owners manual they can not deny your claim period no matter what, keeping your recpts/empty bottles isn't a bad idea to prove it. I know what your saying but it's probably a pretty rare exception?

IF you go into a dealer and announce you were using X brand and it doesn't meet the factory specs then thats your own fault. If you just keep your mouth shut they probably can't tell what type of oil you used and I doubt they would send it to a lab to be analyzed.

As you stated, keeping the oil changed is probably the most important factor. I don't recall my stepdad making many oil changes on our many cars, probably why we were usually the last owners LOL.

Personally I prefer synthetic, they run that stuff in the big rigs for tens of thousands of miles between changes while enduring some of the more extreme conditions. I read a study where a company ran a series of generators 24/7, when they switched to synthetic oils the engines lasted much, much longer before needing to be rebuilt.

Old 03-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Guys, its more important to change your oil often, then what brand oil it is. I don't care what oil you use if it's old and has dirt or water in it, it is not gonna protect your engine.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

OK all you sythice guys, How well does sythice oils clean you motor and does it sperate from water. I know alot of Polaris fourwheelers have hade motor problems and guess what they use sythice oil. Pretty much all the time it was cause it water sperated from the oil, and took out the cam or wrist pins.

You are right that they cann't say that you have to use there oil, but if you don't have recits saying that you bought oil and filter and aplied it to the fourwheeler then they sure can. Plus if you go buy your oil at wal mart or were ever how do they now that your not buying it for your car or what ever. So that's there point and if you have a rod failure then they can say it was the wrong type or oil not or not the right additives inthe oils that you bought.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

Hey Cluby, Polaris machines are the most un-reliable jucky machines ever made. It is a wonder that company has not declared bankrupcy yet. Polaris machines are always having problems because of poor workmanship and cost cutting parts. Not so much because of the oil. Well, now I am going to get bashed by Polaris owners. But most for Polars owners this is their first machine that they have ever bought and of course they think that it is the best machine, but I bet they won't buy another Polaris.

Quick Reply: Who uses regular oil in their ATV's