Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Anyone know anything about the new Honda 250EX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000 | 07:44 PM
|
Range Rover

I have seen some articles on this, but my question is... Is it the same as the Recon with a new skin?
Or does it have a sport suspension to go with its new look? Anyone that has any information I would love to hear from you. I want a Honda, but can't use a manual clutch. This quad sounds like it is for me if it doesn't have the same suspension as the Recon. Oh, by the way, I have a Recon, it beats the snot out of my arms and shoulders because of my arthritis. I need something sportier.

Old 11-16-2000 | 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

You anwsered your own question its the same as the recon just different skins.
I dont mean to keep pushing polaris on you but it fits your description prefect. I would seriously look at the trailboss 325, its automatic, 4 stroke, good fender coverage, and extremly plush and easy to ride.
For the price of around $3500 you cant beat it.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-16-2000 | 08:51 PM
|
Range Rover

I wish I could ride the Polaris, but as I said before.. I cannot with my arms, for the life of me steer one. I was the joke of all of my friends when I did have mine. They would turn and I would go strait, usually into a tree! LOL. My hubby checked out the pictures of the three different suspensions (300EX-250EX-Lakota) and he seems to think they changed the suspension on the 250 to something sportier. I will have to wait and see. I tried calling Honda today and asking, but they were all hush-hush about the whole thing. Said I would have to wait til January when they came out. I think by then I will go mad without a quad!

Old 11-16-2000 | 08:52 PM
Pro Rider

They (Honda) claim that they have tweaked the engine of the 250EX to get a 10% gain in power. They have also upped the travel on the front and rear suspension about an inch. If you've already set your mind to it, get one, if you're not dead set on it yet, I would look into maybe the Polaris TrailBlazer, or the Kawi Lakota. You could save $700 by getting the T'Blazer, and dump $400 of that into mods that would make it fly, or spend a little more, and get the Lakota.

Old 11-16-2000 | 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

I know you want to strangle me and quadfather by now, but give polaris one more try they have came along why in the handling department. My scrambler steers relatively easy, My girlfriend can steer it and shes a 110lb weakling.LOL (honey I did'nt mean to write that...GOTTA GO!!!).

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-16-2000 | 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

Stay with the Honda. In five years the Honda will still be running and the Polaris will just be a lawn ornament or a mail box holder. The Recon is a nice bike. So with some Honda upgrades disk brakes on the front it should be good. But we will all have to see what it is realy like when it hit the ground in January for the truth.

Old 11-17-2000 | 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

Tweaked what? It has the same carb,compression ratio,bore and stroke as the Recon.The 10% must come from running it on nitro rather than gas.

Old 11-17-2000 | 10:17 AM
Range Rover

The drivetrain on the 250EX is the same bulletproof engine, transmission, and shaft drive
bike as the recon but the power gain is achieved by using a differn't cam set up. It will have a much more sporty suspension with no troublesome chain and sprocket all for about $3800 plus the honda will last as oppose the trailboss which is Junk just look at it and compare.

RideRed
2000 Foreman 450S Me
2001 Rancher 350S Wife
2001 Recon 250 Son
All Box Stock
Will trade Recon for 250EX in January

Old 11-17-2000 | 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

The machine will be anything but a Recon.

10% power increase is acheived by installing a slightly "hotter" camshaft and better valvetrain.

Suspension travel was increased and shock valving is geared more toward "sport" riding, instead of utility.

Disk brakes up front.

Aluminum wheels with "sporty" Otushu tires. Just like the one's on the 300EX and 400EX.

50 less pounds than the Recon.

All new frame.

All of these features make the 250EX better, but still keeping the shaft drive, proven "base" motor, and honda quality and craftsmanship.

Remember, trail riding is supposed too be fun. Having a machine that you can handle is more important than being the "fastest in the world". The 250EX is a lighter, more powerful, better handling machine than the Recon. And this is why my girlfriend will be driving one this next year.

Old 11-17-2000 | 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

According to Red Rider magazine, it's got a different suspension, frame and has more power than the recon. Also, why does everyone complain that it's "Just a Recon with new skin"?? I thought the Recon was a fun, reliable machine. Keyword: Fun. Heck, I hope it's alot like the Recon...It'll make my decision to purchase one even that much easier.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about the new Honda 250EX?