Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

muffler-less

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default muffler-less

I do not give a $hit about your car, I stand by all I said.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

I do agree with you Doc that you can make more power with an open header. But the motor has to be a hi rpm motor built for the purpose, and that's why I advised him to get an aftermarket for power in a useable ranfe for him.
I do disagree that you can't warp a valve that way. I'm not talking about a purpose built motor here, I'm talking about just running an open header on a stock motor as he is considering.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default muffler-less

But the motor has to be a hi rpm motor built for the purpose, and that's why I advised him to get an aftermarket for power in a useable ranfe for him.
I agree with you 100% Sparky. If he removes the muff on that ute it will push the torque curve up so high it will be un-usable. Bottem end power will suffer greatly and he does not have the RPM to pick up the top.

That is why in my second post I stated: "Another problem with an open pipe is low end power. You will move your torque curve up by putting on an open pipe. With a low RPM engine this is not a good thing. "

Sorry, still dissagree with you in the valve deal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I have been running open pipes on everything from a stock 5HP Briggs to a nicely built BBC, and everything in between. Never ever had a problem with valves.........ever. I have many, many friends in the drag and circle track game that can say the same.

BTW Sparky, check your PM's.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default muffler-less

all im wondering is will it hurt to run the rancher with basically open headers... no muffler, put still have the head pipe on.

some intereting answers here

tom ford

Old 04-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default muffler-less

dude i have a o3 rancher 2wd itook off the muffler and cut the pipe 4 inches from where the muffler was BAD IDEA when i started riding it it felt a lot peppier for a bout 2o min then i started hearing a ringing sound right before i got home from the creek it died my buddie had to tow me when i got back i took it up to the honda dealer where i bought it 2 mos earlier they took the head off and wouldnt you no .....THE VALVE WAS WARPED ...... I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. i have a drag bike with open exhaust and my neighbor has a dirt track car with open exhaust but it DONT WORK ON A RANCHER!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default muffler-less

they put mufflers on engines for a reason

Old 04-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

Originally posted by: rincontrx680
dude i have a o3 rancher 2wd itook off the muffler and cut the pipe 4 inches from where the muffler was BAD IDEA when i started riding it it felt a lot peppier for a bout 2o min then i started hearing a ringing sound right before i got home from the creek it died my buddie had to tow me when i got back i took it up to the honda dealer where i bought it 2 mos earlier they took the head off and wouldnt you no .....THE VALVE WAS WARPED ...... I COULDNT BELIEVE IT. i have a drag bike with open exhaust and my neighbor has a dirt track car with open exhaust but it DONT WORK ON A RANCHER!!!!!!
HA See!!! I know DrT knows his **** from other posts of his that I've read. But I knew I was right here. I almost got my @ss kicked when i was a kid for taking the muffler off of a moto 225. My Dad had told me that it would warp the valves. And since he had us working on everything from a weedwacker to a dozer when we were kids, he took every opportunity to teach us something. He said something about it heating and cooling real fast because it runs hotter (lean) and there's no backpressure.
My Dad was a hot rodder from way back. There wasn't anything that my Dad couldn't fix or fabricate.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default muffler-less

LOL
great thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default muffler-less

Ok, ok, ok, I was wrong, the Honda Rancher is the only engine in history of mankind that you can't run uncapped because it will warp the valves. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have worked on 1 cylinder, 2 cylinders, 4 cylinders, 6 cylinders, 8 cylinders, 9 cylinders and even 12 cylinder engines. Some stock, some hyped up race engines. All of them uncapped; just a straight pipe. Not one has warped a valve. Some have VERY short head pipes.

The C.W. 9 cylinder engines I worked on only had a head pipe about a foot from the valve head. If the valves warped I'm sure the FAA would know about it and tell me to put a muff on them. I personally did valve jobs on hundereds of these cylinders and I'm here to tell you none of them had warped valves.
I tune three race cars, all uncapped. All with no valve problems.

All I have to say is the Rancher must be a strange engine indeed.
i got home from the creek it died my buddie had to tow me when i got back i took it up to the honda dealer where i bought it 2 mos earlier they took the head off and wouldnt you no .....THE VALVE WAS WARPED ...... I COULDNT BELIEVE IT.
Could it be that a little of that cool creek water ran down the pipe and cooled that valve off?
Nawwwwww, must be the strange Rancher engine. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Do what you think will work for you. I'm here to give my 2 cents and learn; not change minds.