Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will my 2WD do the job? vs the 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my 2WD do the job? vs the 4WD

Originally posted by: mykool61679
snow aND mud is a different story, it takes alot of work and good tires to help in mud(still not as good as 4x4) but snow or even mud i guess chains will help alot(still no 4x4)as far as hills , ihave made it up ALL the 4x4 have
I also think at a dead stop on a hill in a gravel pit, the 4x4 will out climb a 2x4.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

well, when we ride together me and a lot of my friends ... we always have like 2 or 3 2wd bikes in the pack ... They dont ride as good in snow nor in mud ... but as long as they are not left alone in 2wd .. they are ok and able to ride wit hus ... its a matter of seconds to winch them or push them a bit ... worth the time im my opinion to have riding partners in 2wd ... that are happy to see you come back in 4x4 to help them get thru.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:32 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Pepete
well, when we ride together me and a lot of my friends ... we always have like 2 or 3 2wd bikes in the pack ... They dont ride as good in snow nor in mud ... but as long as they are not left alone in 2wd .. they are ok and able to ride wit hus ... its a matter of seconds to winch them or push them a bit ... worth the time im my opinion to have riding partners in 2wd ... that are happy to see you come back in 4x4 to help them get thru.

I enjoy helping folks getting unstuck be it ATV or trucks and its fun using the resurces on hand to get you home when dealing with getting unstuck.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Trailblazer

Well, they enjoy riding with you, and you are happy to help them get passed the small portions of any normal trails they cant go thru ... its a good deal i guess

Old 04-10-2006, 12:09 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: GoodOleBoy
I have to disagree, while ridding my wife would drive my 4x4 rancher while I drove a Recon and a buddy on YFZ in quite a few spots (not muddy) we had to get off and push the quads while the 4x4 ran right through it.
I was amzed the 2wd drives units did so poorly on the various terrain. Of course that was only 10 % of thime we got stuck but we did not try anything to techincal either cause we knew the limits of the 2wd.

Climbing I think 4wd is superior and you wont need to get "full speed" to make it up.
THat's becasue they don't know how to ride them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Riding is all about momentum, if you keep your momentum, you will go just about anywhere on a 2wd.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: GoodOleBoy
I have to disagree, while ridding my wife would drive my 4x4 rancher while I drove a Recon and a buddy on YFZ in quite a few spots (not muddy) we had to get off and push the quads while the 4x4 ran right through it.
I was amzed the 2wd drives units did so poorly on the various terrain. Of course that was only 10 % of thime we got stuck but we did not try anything to techincal either cause we knew the limits of the 2wd.

Climbing I think 4wd is superior and you wont need to get "full speed" to make it up.
THat's becasue they don't know how to ride them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Riding is all about momentum, if you keep your momentum, you will go just about anywhere on a 2wd.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Well thats not always true you would not go rip roaring hauling ***,through unfamilar rough terrain and mud puddles especially with the tall cliffs and drop offs. Im not!
Yes you may make it though a mud hole in 2wd and be a happy camper or you hit a stump with all the "momentum and speed" and flip the thing or sink..

Ive driven out of the woods in 2wd when my front axle broke on my truck I hauled *** and broke the other front axle hauling butt through terrain that I did not know. I almost hit a few trees but I was not digging a 6000lb truck out of a mudhole again that day. It can be done but assume the risks also.

90% of the time the 2wd will do the job.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So in other words xlgford, a 2wd will do just fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would agree, though, that snow will be your enemy more than anything else.
I've gone home at times while the 4x4s rode all day.
There are times when it just gets too deep for a 2x4 and it ain't fun any more.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

After a while, you'll get familiar with your quad, and know what it can and can't do. I know what my Trail Boss will and won't got through. Sometimes though, you just have to get stuck to have fun.

Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
After a while, you'll get familiar with your quad, and know what it can and can't do. I know what my Trail Boss will and won't got through. Sometimes though, you just have to get stuck to have fun.
you should always ride with a friend. Goby so realitor and put studs in them they will go though alot of snow and mud before getting stuck. and yeh it is a blast out getting stuck.