Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Will my 2WD do the job? vs the 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Will my 2WD do the job? vs the 4WD

LOL, I hate getting stuck. Those tracks around the outside edge of the mudholes, that's me! xlgford, even in quite a few of the bigger holes, you just put that outside tire up on the edge of the mud and you can negotiate better. Plus it isn't as far of a jump to safe ground when you quad does get stuck. Good luck with your Fourtrax!

Old 04-11-2006, 12:34 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: Scooter86
LOL, I hate getting stuck. Those tracks around the outside edge of the mudholes, that's me! xlgford, even in quite a few of the bigger holes, you just put that outside tire up on the edge of the mud and you can negotiate better. Plus it isn't as far of a jump to safe ground when you quad does get stuck. Good luck with your Fourtrax!
LMAO![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You really don't like mud do ya?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally my 400ex will go where my friends 450 foreman will, like creek crossings and stuff, the best thing about sport quads is u can nail the gas and lean back and pull the front end up to clear any holes.... and make it thro with no problem... i think sport quads do a better job than utility 2wds... and i no i'm not talkin about like going in a long mud bog or w/e... but usually i dont even like to get my quad dirty, i like to keep it nice and clean but last weekend was an exception lol i had to show a girl a good time.. so we got pretty muddy!

Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

2wd will go thru mud if the driver watches and trys to dodge the deep spots. Or just gun and let off and gun so you keep hopping to a new spot. My great uncle has a trailblazer i didnt thk could go thru mud but when we got in deep clay mud more you fight deeper you sink he made it out of it backing up and going foward till he had enugh speed to just coast thru were i just kinda gunned it in first and road a wheelie out of it with my rancher 4x4 with mudlites.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: Scooter86
LMAO![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You really don't like mud do ya?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I don't mind mud as much as I hate it when the crap is over my boots and I'm stuck pushing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Originally posted by: motox26

Im scared of the mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] and i melt in the rain.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

2wd will go most places a ute will go provided it has a capable pilot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-12-2006, 02:49 AM
Trailblazer

for me i would never buy a utility quad unless it has 4wheel drive. they're so much better than a 2WD utility quad. in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally posted by: OneFlyCowboy

Im scared of the mud [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] and i melt in the rain.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

2wd will go most places a ute will go provided it has a capable pilot [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
And all this time I thought Sh@t floated. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

2WD, 4WD, doesn't matter as long as you're having fun. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-16-2006, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I have seen the 2wd ranchers go through alot of mud with little or no problem

Old 04-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Range Rover

I use my Warn 424 on my Rancher quite often. Typically I run in 2WD. There hasn't been a time yet where mud has caused me to lock in the front axle. Climbing is a totally diferent story. I've been in situations climbing out of a river bottom where there was zero room to get up speed to make the 30' climb on slimmy mud. I tried it in 2WD only to go about 8' then started spinning and right back down to the bottom I went. Locked it in 4WD and crawled right up.

Other times I've crested at the top of a climb on one front wheel and one rear wheel and in 2WD that one rear wheel didn't have enough traction to keep me going over the crest. 4WD always got me where I needed to go.