Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400 ex Hot Cams stage 2 : Disapointed !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 ex Hot Cams stage 2 : Disapointed !!

I had just bought a Hot Cams stage 2 and got it put in late last week. I've rode it Saturday and Sunday and have just been some what disapointed in the performance gain. I was exspecting some big time gains from it. Now I know I don't have the high compression and big bore or wild port / valve work. But was I wrong expecting it to really make a difference? I really like my 400 and didn't expect it to whip up on 450's and all, but I do have the Tim Taylor more power is always better attitude, and I just thought that this cam would really make a difference, not just a little gain. I geuss I'm just venting some, so thanks!!

Old 04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider

Add the high compression piston and the difference will be night and day. Your money is not wasted. Take it from a guy that made the same mistake.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

HEY MAN SO YOUR SAYING THERE WILL BE A PRETTY GOOD DIFFERENCE IF I BUY THE HOT CAM STAGE 2!! IS THERE A STAGE 3 BUT WHAT WOULD IT GIVE ME MORE TORQUE OR HORSE POWER?? TOP END ?
BUT THANKS
PEACR

Old 04-11-2006, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

A stage 2 hotcam will boost power thrugout the entire rpm range, adding a higher compression piston will help it out even more.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

the high compression will add throttle responce. the more lift of the cam and the duration with and in the top of the rpm range . a good port job will add alot to each rpm range. bigger valves will only give more mid and top end not for low end torque.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: asfasasu3
I had just bought a Hot Cams stage 2 and got it put in late last week. I've rode it Saturday and Sunday and have just been some what disapointed in the performance gain. I was exspecting some big time gains from it. Now I know I don't have the high compression and big bore or wild port / valve work. But was I wrong expecting it to really make a difference? I really like my 400 and didn't expect it to whip up on 450's and all, but I do have the Tim Taylor more power is always better attitude, and I just thought that this cam would really make a difference, not just a little gain. I geuss I'm just venting some, so thanks!!
You should have asked us before you bought it. It will probably give you about a horse peak or so is what I would have told you.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider

I can't catch everybody on here. I did search all the treads on cams for a 400ex on here and other forumns and found most people really liked their Hot cams. I don't really want to tear into the motor until I have to. But I know the higher compression would sure help. Don't get me wrong, it does have some more than it did before the cam swap, just not quite what I thought it would have.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Open up your airbox if it isn't already. Either cut away part of the lid or add vents.

Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider

WONDERING IF YOU GUYS COULD HELP ME OUT. I AM REBUILDING MY BUDDIES 400EX. NEVER HAD ONE APART BEFOR ALTHOUGH I HAVE REBUILT MANY QUADS AND SNOWMOBILES.. I AM ADDING A 10:1 COMPRESSION PISTON .80 OVERBORE AND A STAGE 1 HOT CAMS. I AM GOING TO INSTALL THE CAM WHEN I WAS READING THE CLYMERS MANUAL AND SAW THE PART ABOUT THE PLUNGER AND SPRING. I CHECKED THE HEAD AND THE SPRING IS THERE BUT THE PLUNGER IS GONE. I CALLED THE MACHINE SHOP THAT DID THE CYLINDER AND HEAD WORK AND THE SAID THEY NEVER CHECKED FOR IT. BUT THEY ALSO SAID THEY CANT COME UP WITH A PART NUMBER FOR IT. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: asfasasu3
As the guys have said, increase your compression ratio. The increased cam duration and valve overlap has the effect of lowering your compression with the stock piston. Go to an 11:1 and watch it rip!

Quick Reply: 400 ex Hot Cams stage 2 : Disapointed !!