Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

400EX REVERSE

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006 | 12:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX REVERSE

well, looks like you may be under the constraints of brand loyalty, but the z is an awesome quad. So is the 400ex. The z definetely has an edge over the ex. I've heard the warrior/raptor 350 reverse can be hard to operate, the concensus seems to be that you need to shift into reverse before you stop moving which causes some grinding. My Dad had a warrior for us to ride for a short time, and I don't recall having that problem. The biggest problem with it that I remember was trying to keep the battery charged. The 400ex's I've rode did not have reverse, but their reverse engages the same way as the z. So, out of these 3 here's the order I'd rate them.

***Note: You'll see that I have 2 Suzukis. That was not out of brand loyalty, I was looking for a trx250r and ended up finding a deal on an lt when I couldn't on a trx. It took me about 5 months to decide which 4 stroke I was going to buy, I considered many. But for what I was looking for, I chose the z.

1-z400
2-400ex
3-warrior/raptor 350

this place has awesome deals on new quads. They're in NY too. I actually drove 3 hours from NH to get my quad there.

Old 04-14-2006 | 01:42 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 400EX REVERSE

I'm open to all brands. My son is 5'10' 170lbs. He usually rides the rancher but has no problems riding my rincon.

Old 04-14-2006 | 02:05 PM
Range Rover
Default 400EX REVERSE

oh ok.. hell be fine on a z400.. its your best bet for a sport quad, clutch w/ reverse... go for it

Old 04-14-2006 | 02:08 PM
Range Rover
Default 400EX REVERSE

Originally posted by: Sparky8370
well, looks like you may be under the constraints of brand loyalty, but the z is an awesome quad. So is the 400ex. The z definetely has an edge over the ex. I've heard the warrior/raptor 350 reverse can be hard to operate, the concensus seems to be that you need to shift into reverse before you stop moving which causes some grinding. My Dad had a warrior for us to ride for a short time, and I don't recall having that problem. The biggest problem with it that I remember was trying to keep the battery charged. The 400ex's I've rode did not have reverse, but their reverse engages the same way as the z. So, out of these 3 here's the order I'd rate them.

***Note: You'll see that I have 2 Suzukis. That was not out of brand loyalty, I was looking for a trx250r and ended up finding a deal on an lt when I couldn't on a trx. It took me about 5 months to decide which 4 stroke I was going to buy, I considered many. But for what I was looking for, I chose the z.

1-z400
2-400ex
3-warrior/raptor 350

this place has awesome deals on new quads. They're in NY too. I actually drove 3 hours from NH to get my quad there.
hey sparky,
how negotiable is that dealer?.. raelly thinkign asbotu getting a kfx 400
how much did you pay for your z?
i looked at their site and noticed their prices are much lower than msrp
and how many trips did you take down there? was it a one time thing, go there and talk and pick it up?
asking because im in NJ and i googled the directiosn and it said it would take 2 horus and 50 minutes.. basically 3 hours like you..

Old 04-14-2006 | 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX REVERSE

I don't think they negotiate on the pricing, as they are already well below any other dealer. The kfx is cheaper than the z or even the ex there. I talked to them through email and over the phone before I purchased. I was speaking with Jim Scheicher. He was awesome to deal with. Absolutely no sales pressure at all. I bought exactly what I wanted with no push whatsoever for something more expensive or additional gear or accesories. He even stayed there for a half an hour after they closed to wait for me. Got the sale done in about 20 minutes and I was on my way.
E-mail Jim at: TCG@NYCAP.RR.COM

They are a great dealer, and I fully recomend them to anyone. I was talking about them on here before I even bought my quad, and before I knew it everybody was talking about their prices. Tell Jim that Jason Eaton has been doing a great job spreading their name, maybe they'll give me a better deal when I'm ready to buy the quadracer!!LOL

I think you will be pleased with the kfx/z. Here are a few things that helped me decide when I had it narrowed down to a z or an ex.

Suspension- better on z, adjustable with rezis
Motor- liquid cooled with more power and responds better to mods
reverse- I was looking used at first, so I guess that really doesn't apply
clutch- the clutch is a lot easier to operate
ease of maintainance- it's a lot easier to get at the air cleaner on the z. You just remove the seat to gain access to the air box. On the ex you have to
remove the seat and rear fender as a whole and it's a pain to re-install
Battery location- on the z it's out of harms way under the seat, on the ex it's in the left fender well subject to anything you drive through and if you do
need to access it you have to remove the seat/fender and some useless rubber flaps over the terminals. With my battery charger
I needed to pull my brothers battery right out because it has normal size clamps, like jumper cables.
price- at the time the price was identical at troy. It was a no-brainer with all the added features and benefits.

Old 04-14-2006 | 02:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX REVERSE

Originally posted by: MrBaldone
I'm open to all brands. My son is 5'10' 170lbs. He usually rides the rancher but has no problems riding my rincon.
how old is he? I'm sure he'd be fine on any of the quads mentioned given his size.

PS I'd still check troy, whatever your choice is. They carry Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha + whatever is in their used stock.

Old 04-14-2006 | 04:20 PM
Range Rover
Default 400EX REVERSE

hey i cheked the troy site and the kfx is a few hundred more thant he z400?!??
that amazed me.
also did you have to pay any other charges? or was that your otd price... and no tax i assume as you/me both live out of state (not in NY)

Old 04-14-2006 | 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX REVERSE

When I bought mine in Sept. the price was $5099.00 + the $200.00 dealer crate and prep fee (Standard, same at dealers here) + the $25.00 NH tire tax or fee Total OTD was $5324, $800-$900 cheaper than I could get it here with no hassle. Well worth the $60 in gas (when it was over $3.00/gallon)
So It should cost you around $5000.00 OTD, depending on if your state requires them to add any fees. If you email him first, he can look it up and give you the OTD price, that's what I did. If you plan on getting it on the Suzuki credit card, you'll have to go into a local dealership and get approved then tell them you'll get back to them after you talk to your wife. (Or make the drive to Troy if you know you'll definetely get it.)
I got the $39/month payment + 0% interest for 2 years

Old 04-14-2006 | 05:33 PM
Range Rover
Default 400EX REVERSE

wow thats a nice price.. much lower than msrp..
my question is that why is the z400 cheaper than the kfx 400.. and why is the orange 100 bucks more than the green.. haha
they both have interchangabel parts i think but i have always liked the kfx better.. dont know why.
wahts that tire fee you ahve in NH?
and prices for the z400 seem to be 300 bucks lower than when you got it.
also i am assuming you brought a trailer down and picked it up that day?

Old 04-14-2006 | 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Default 400EX REVERSE

I drove my brother's Toyota pick up truck there. I think the price is based on how many units they sell. The tire fee thing in my state is just another way for them to get money out of you. No sales tax, so they got to get it out of you in other ways. Great for visitors, but property tax and some other things suffer.

PS Just PM me with any other questions, I don't want to hi-jack this guys thread.

Sorry mrbaldone