Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

250r need fast help :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250r need fast help :(

No No I'm not running 32:1 neither 20:1...I'm at 40:1

What i Said is that I'm worried about my jetting... I'm at 155 and still a little too rich...Stock is 152...I can't but the stock one in there, would be illogical, I have a pipe, filter and open airbox...Logically I would be lean

Maybe 155 was for the 20:1 factory mixing ratio (20:1 is leaner than 40:1) so that's why I'm wondering if It would be allright to put a 150-152 in...

Old 04-22-2006, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

<u>UPDATE</u>

Ok, I was at the garage tonight and gave a check to the R... Heated it up, went riding around a little and it was cutting somehow ... Checked the air filter and it was badly clogged (clean it before every ride, it get very dirty since I run open air box)... i then removed the filter just to see if it was why it was cutting (having a clogged filter = more rich), and it was running A1 (I ran it inside the garage since I didn'T have any protection against dust)...Only thing he's that he stalled at WOT since it probably swallowed something...Had a hard time starting it again and it rans like crap, not worrying me since I was sitting in the garage and it's probably only a sand grain that is stuck in the carb....

I made an observation though...With the clogged filter on, it was puffing some smoke when cutting at WOT, what can cause this...

REALLY DOESN'T SEEMS IT'S A JETTING PROBLEM ANYMORE!

And I made some hypothesis about the bogging/cutting (Even if it's probably only the filter, I just want to get some idea out of my head, maybe it can help you guys/gals solve my problem if it's not the filter)

Let's say it's not the filter making it running rich...

Hypothesis:

1- Pilot jet is too rich....The quad idle and foul the plug, making it runs bad at WOT
2- My reed valves are needing to be replaced, making the mixture rich
3- My ring are worn (Even though the compression is good)

Anyway, I would really like to solve this...Any comments, ideas, suggestions are welcome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance,

Pierre-Yves

Old 04-22-2006, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheQuadSport230
<u>UPDATE</u>

Ok, I was at the garage tonight and gave a check to the R... Heated it up, went riding around a little and it was cutting somehow ... Checked the air filter and it was badly clogged (clean it before every ride, it get very dirty since I run open air box)... i then removed the filter just to see if it was why it was cutting (having a clogged filter = more rich), and it was running A1 (I ran it inside the garage since I didn'T have any protection against dust)...Only thing he's that he stalled at WOT since it probably swallowed something...Had a hard time starting it again and it rans like crap, not worrying me since I was sitting in the garage and it's probably only a sand grain that is stuck in the carb....

I made an observation though...With the clogged filter on, it was puffing some smoke when cutting at WOT, what can cause this...

REALLY DOESN'T SEEMS IT'S A JETTING PROBLEM ANYMORE!

And I made some hypothesis about the bogging/cutting (Even if it's probably only the filter, I just want to get some idea out of my head, maybe it can help you guys/gals solve my problem if it's not the filter)

Let's say it's not the filter making it running rich...

Hypothesis:

1- Pilot jet is too rich....The quad idle and foul the plug, making it runs bad at WOT
2- My reed valves are needing to be replaced, making the mixture rich
3- My ring are worn (Even though the compression is good)

Anyway, I would really like to solve this...Any comments, ideas, suggestions are welcome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance,

Pierre-Yves

Bump!

By the, checked my transmission oil today and it had a milkshake look...What could cause this ? Worn crankshaft bearing seals...Worn water pump Seal ??? Any ideas are welcome...

Something else too...Went riding today and there was something making my teeth grins a little.... While I was riding, If I pulled the clutch lever, the engine would rev a little more, then Sloooooowly come back to idle... I though it was an air leak and I sprayed some carb cleaner everywhere (Intake boot, head gasket, bottom end gasket) and nothing happened so I suppose it's not that. I checked the plug too and it looked nice. Something that I don't know the meaning with my plug is why half is a little black and the other half is a nice brown chocolate...Why isn't it uniformely a specific color?

As always, all suggestions, ideas, remarks are welcome [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Bump!

Old 04-23-2006, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider

first the water pump is going out

Old 04-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: gassrx
first the water pump is going out
Doesn't looks like it...The radiator, hoses and water pump is always hot... Never checked if the coolant is but it would be a bad idea [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm I like Honesty.... Just arrived from riding and my rad and overflow tank was empty... Luckily, the engine was still full of prestone. The guy who sold it to me had blocked the overflow hole on the water pump cover with a bolt. When I opened it, coolant flowed everywhere.... Hope it didn't do fatal damage....Quad ran great though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]...

Old 04-23-2006, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: imtired
You don't want to run 20:1. I run 32:1, measured on a ratio cup, and i've had no problems. the oils of today have come along way from 20 years ago. If you're running 20:1 that might be part of your problem. I also made that mistake once, and my quad never ran right. Went to 32:1 and it ran like a champ.
5oz of oil is 32:1 or close enough ---6.2oz is 20:1
as far as 40:1 that seeems kinda thin on the oil end
as far as oil burning you could have lower seals gone in the tranny causing your oil to turn into a milkshake
because of the amount of pressure in those lower-ends

Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: pimpt250r
Originally posted by: imtired
You don't want to run 20:1. I run 32:1, measured on a ratio cup, and i've had no problems. the oils of today have come along way from 20 years ago. If you're running 20:1 that might be part of your problem. I also made that mistake once, and my quad never ran right. Went to 32:1 and it ran like a champ.
5oz of oil is 32:1 or close enough ---6.2oz is 20:1
as far as 40:1 that seeems kinda thin on the oil end
as far as oil burning you could have lower seals gone in the tranny causing your oil to turn into a milkshake
because of the amount of pressure in those lower-ends

40:1 is thin [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

People around here usually mix 50:1 or 60:1

Even if I'm in Canada, Ratio are the same right ? Whatever units we use, a ratio is a ratio...

I should maybe go to 32:1...

Just for fun, which oil do you guys use....

Oh and by the way, today the quad still reved high while I was pulling the clutch and revving down slooowwly, also take 10-15 seconds to idle correctly while it sits, it's running a little too fast otherwise...

It really sounds like an air leak but I sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and everything seems to be fine, the quad never reacts... Plug is rather nice though...

Old 04-23-2006, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

The seals in your water pump or gaskets might be bad in return letting water enter the motor when you run the bike with water in oil it will turn to a milkshake like substance when mine went it did the same thing it was greyish in color.

Also not trying to steal your thread but I have a 250r my jetting has been giving me problems as well lately, I was running a 42 pilot, clip on 2, stock needle, 142 main, bike was running excellent I removed airbox lid installed an LRD silencer now I have been chasing this thing all over it sputters and skips down low I get up to top end and is fine.

I read the post by Gassrx on jetting (Thanks) but I am still having problems I thought it might be lean so I put bigger pilot in went from 42 to a 45 still did it so I went to a 50 pilot kept the same main it got rid of the skippin but now it smokes so I decided to put in a 48 pilot and still smokes and now it loads up at idle.... I went out there today put in a 40 pilot figured I would go back the other way just in case I was rich b4 it started skippin again down low from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle once I hit top end it pulls great cant figure it out with anything bigger than a 48 pilot it bogs and loads up with anything smaller it skips is it possible I may need a smaller pilot than 40?? it ran awesome before I put silencer and removed lid to airbox (42 pilot, clip 2, stock needle, 142 main) I had stock silencer on befor but I gutted it out.

I am in desperate need of help here I have been tearing the carb apart daily!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I run benol at 40:1

Bike mods are FMF pipe, LRD silencer, V-force 3 reeds, no lid on airbox, K&N, compression is 163, .030 over

Thanks

P.S I read the post by Gassrx about jetting but I just cant get this figured out according to the post its in the pilot???? stock jets are 52 pilot 138 main but thats at 20:1 how much leaner is the bike at 40:1 ???

Quick Reply: 250r need fast help :(