Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450R Owners--Happy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450R Owners--Happy?

Thinking on getting a 450R to add to our stable of quads. I'm pleased with my YFZ and will keep it, but probably sell our 01 Raptor. You 450R owners, are you happy? Do you ever think you should have bought anything else? I would only get an 06 or newer electric start model when I do this. All we ride is sand dunes.

Just looking for some opinions here. Yes my YFZ is fast, yes it rides rough as heck, yes it's a little small for me at 6', no I haven't had any problems with it. The Honda would be primarily ridden by my wife (yes she's an expert) but I have a feeling I might fall in lust with it as well. I don't need to win any drag races with it either, it seems they run pretty good, maybe a hair behind the Yamaha but that's okay.

thanks for any feedback,
Shady

Old 04-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

I love my '04.
I have quite a few mods on it and I here the '06 450R's are fast, fast , fast!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I love my 05 and up until this weekend have never had any problems with it, and even then, its just a simple wiring problem.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my 04! My buddy has an 06, and finds the shocks very stiff. He is going to get different springs from Works, which should fix that. The 06 has a hit in the powerband, where my 04 comes on smooth as silk. I personally prefer the 04.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

The 06 450R is a great quad once you put the HRC kit in. (kit has cam, head pipe, Rev increase bypas, exhaust upgrade and a few other pcs) Well worth the cost hands down!!

DO NOT LEAVE THE DEALERSHIP WITHOUT THE KIT INSTALLED or you will be disappointed....Ths bike doesn't start or run very well w/o it.

I had an 05 and the 06 is much better all the way around with the HRC kit.

The suspension is pretty rough(like most stock quads)

The power of the 06 is not like any of the previous years.....It is more like the YFZ...It hits hards and pulls....What I like most is the usable power it provides.....There is no flat spot on the track and it is very rider friendly even you are off by a gear....just gun it and hold on....it pulls hard

I added a PEP Steering Stabilizer and ROX antivibe handlebar riser +2" and it helped a lot..

For suspension upgrades go with the TCS in California for a triple rate and revalve $450 and GT Thunder for the rear revalve and linkage upgrade $340.

Besides the need for a little better suspension i couln't be happier...

Just think...add the HRC kit and the quad is still under warranty and hauls butt!! Even guys with worked out 04-05s really were impressed with the pull with the HRC kit.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Range Rover

man you will not be disapointed. i love my 06 its the best thing. it will beat pretty much anything out there. i got some pics of mine up on my page if you wanna take a look. i got the hrc and it was fast before it, and now its like a night and day diff. i think if you ride it you will be hooked. im 6'4 and it fits me perfect. not that you drag race or anything but ive beeten everything out there except a banshee with 5 grand into the motor. one problem i have is keeping the front wheels on the ground haha. it will even beet your raptor with the right rider. go down and look at one and sit on it you will be hooked

Cooper

Old 04-25-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

im going against the grain here and stirring the pot... if I were you id get an 06 YFZ. It has a better seat this year, still weighs less than an estart 450R, has a better powerband this year and they even softened the springs for 06, and allot of other improvements. If i were buying a new 450, this is the one.

Havent seen a Quadracer 450 perform yet so i reserve judgement....i know a yoshi z 450 hauls pretty good...

True, I do have a 2004 450R and it is no doubt a good bike. it is very reliable and has strong, smooth power/acceleration. but it is not a "great" bike. it is not a legend. has good front shocks that are very sensitive to adjustments (rear is a diff story- needs revalving- its a lackluster design). but the chassis design, while ok, is not stable as a 250R, its not as light, and it is not as balanced. As I have maintained through out the whole 450 craze- for what it is- the YFZ still IS a better 250R replacement in terms of handling. I dont regret buying the R- i do like it, but if the 06 YFZ was the 04 YFZ - thats the one that could be sitting in my garage instead...

That is not to takeaway anything from the 06 R - i know they haul @ss-esp with the HRC kit, but something is still not right with them, and i think honda should have kept the oil cooler on it as well and not messed with the suspension - but improved the rear shock... maybe im just too picky. if you want one, hey go get one.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all your input. I do have half a mind to get another YFZ as I am so pleased with it, but like to have some variety as well. Wifey likes Hondas too. I've sat on the 06 450R and briefly ridden an 04 and did like it. Sounds like I'd have to go with the HRC right off, we do hill races quite a bit at the dunes.

All things considered, nobody has made the perfect quad yet eh? I think the YFZ is closest but it needs several things tweeked on it like suspension, seat and bar height too. Still waiting for that 370 pound 500 V-twin 60 horsepower quad that fits 6' tall people and has comfortable ride and will land 75 footers without bottoming out. I'll pay a lot of cash for that one but ain't holding my breath. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]