Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

RECON steering column bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RECON steering column bearings

Anyone else had problems with the steering column bearings seizing after several months use? ie. the bearings that sit at the bottom of the steering column. We get this regularly and although I try to keep on top of it by removing and cleaning them, we have had to replace them on almost every machine now. Any suggestions on how to keep the mud out of them?

I run 10 RECONs in our fleet. 4 of them I have had for almost 2 years and the other 6 I got about 8 months ago. They work really well and we have literally had thousands of people out on them. Most have never driven a quad before and they all manage. I brought up some spares which I have hardly used (our nearest dealers are over 2000 miles away) and I get the brakes relined in town by back in the bush african mechanics. No hassels. I have steered clear of the ES and that seems to be a good idea as the manual works fine.

We have had them over on their sides regularly and (touch wood) never even broken a lever. There's been a few into trees and unlike the other models we run, the plastic is so good that it straightens back out pretty well. The most work we do is to straighten the front carriers up after they have been smashed into a quad infront.

We change the oil regularly and aircleaners etc, check the tyre pressures and oil levels each morning - that's generally all that is required. Bottom line - brilliant! Just wish I'd brought them when we first started the business.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a steering column bearing problem with any Honda. I just sold my Recon that was 7 or 8 years old, and it never had a single problem of any kind. My 250EX (basically same machine) is many years old as well and no problems with it either.

Is there something about your riding conditions that is causing this???? Or, maybe they just had a batch of bad bearings come through????

Old 04-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

That's interesting as some of the quads are 2004 and the rest are 2005 so it can't just be a bad batch. We have some really sticky mud/clay out here - the salubrious red soil of Africa. Maybe that.

I would appreciate feedback from other longterm RECON owners as to whether this problem is specific to my bikes or have any other Honda owners had the same problem?

Old 05-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2000 Recon that I rode nearly into the ground, 10,000 miles +. Never had to replace a bering. I traded my wife for her 2001 and had to replace said steering stem, swing arm and rear axle berings. The plastic rattles and dosent fit well, all with 1/2 the miles. Why I dont know. Same bike and riding conditions.