Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

ground clearance

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ground clearance

I like everything about the 500 Rub except the clearance. At 7.5 inches it is 4.5 inches less that the Cat. I will be operating mostly in snow.

Any feedback from owners on this topic?????

Old 05-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default ground clearance

You need a snowmobile! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ground clearance

I use a Maier plastic skid plate. Floats you along like you are on a huge ski. Front end doesn't dig in ever. I can go surprisingly deep even on the little Rancher, at least until the back finally bogs down. (I know, you are saying what does a Californian know about snow. Well, we do get snow in our mountains.........50+ feet this winter in the Sierra!)

Not sure which A Cat model you are refering to, but for the most part those monsters are heavy like a ton of bricks, top heavy, and tippy. NO THANKS!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default ground clearance

I ride with an AC500i often. From my experience I'd rather have the stability and handling of the lower GC/CG. We don't go often where it would matter the most (mud). I may have to take a different line now and then, but that's part of the fun. His machine does ride better. I have the 04 so it should be a little closer with an 06 Rubicon. The lighter the machine (and better the tires) - the better in crusty snow (sometimes that extra 150lbs hurts), but GC will help you in the powder (your talking an advantage of 4.5 inches (above the Honda differential housing) of snow - unloaded of course)

Old 05-09-2006, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer
Default ground clearance

Originally posted by: buyingATVToday
I like everything about the 500 Rub except the clearance. At 7.5 inches it is 4.5 inches less that the Cat. I will be operating mostly in snow.

Any feedback from owners on this topic?????
I've talked to a lot of people on here about ground clearence and the Rubicon. Everyone that I talked to that own one will tell you the samething, there is no issue. Some the people that don't have one think that it's a big issue. Now, I will tell I don't own one myself, but I test drove one back in March and where I tested it out there was lots of snow. In spots the snow was about 3/4 of the way up the tire. This thing cut through like a hot knife through butter. It was a totally stock machine and it was amazing. I thought that if I'm interested in a quad like this, I should at least take it through its paces. So I took it into the deep soft power that was about 14" deep and covered high grass. Almost nothing to grab for traction, but this thing pulled through without a problem. After i was play in the snow for about 10 mins, It just hit me that I did all of this in 2X4. When I drop it in 4X4 low, it was a beast. I felt like nothing could hold it back.

After that test i was sold. If you want a quad that will out last any other machine on the market and perform like a beast, then there isn't anything like the Rubicon. Buy this quad and I will tell you will not regret it.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default ground clearance

Outlasting any quad might be reaching a little.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:40 PM
Range Rover
Default ground clearance

I wouldnt go as far as to say it would outlast every other wheeler

I think it would but nothing will go as long and as far as a old honda 3 wheeler [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2006, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default ground clearance

Originally posted by: reconranger
I use a Maier plastic skid plate. Floats you along like you are on a huge ski. Front end doesn't dig in ever. I can go surprisingly deep even on the little Rancher, at least until the back finally bogs down. (I know, you are saying what does a Californian know about snow. Well, we do get snow in our mountains.........50+ feet this winter in the Sierra!)

Not sure which A Cat model you are refering to, but for the most part those monsters are heavy like a ton of bricks, top heavy, and tippy. NO THANKS!
Are they maier skid plates any good i was thinking about getting them when i buy my new plastics like is it full or what and are they worth the price also what color are they they dont have any pics yet for them so im kinda scared to buy them but they are pretty cheap

Old 05-11-2006, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ground clearance

I don't have a rubicon but a 450 es, with blackwater tires and a full aluminum skidplate. Some of my buddies have more GC than me, but with my tires, I am the one pulling them out of mudholes. A good set of aftermarket tires that are a bit higher and an agressive tread will do you fine I think.

My $.02

Old 05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer
Default ground clearance

Originally posted by: v2rider
Outlasting any quad might be reaching a little.
Will, I'm not going to say that they have more features, more power in their class or better comfort, but tell me which make of ATV has the reliability that would be better than or compared to Honda. I'm very interested to know your response. We are not talking machine for machine, because anything can come out a lemmon. However, what we are talking about is any manufacture compared to Honda. And remember Toyota don't make ATV's

Quick Reply: ground clearance