Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Kind of a strange question, but does anyone make....

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kind of a strange question, but does anyone make....

Does anyone make a kit to modify a Honda Recon ES to a manual shift? Has anyone tried it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-10-2006, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

you aren't the first person to wonder if that's possible, at least for the normal ES models like the foreman, rancher, and the recon. The Rincon is totally different, it is a hydro-static automatic trans and it has to be electronically controlled, no other way around it.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: quicksilver
you aren't the first person to wonder if that's possible, at least for the normal ES models like the foreman, rancher, and the recon. The Rincon is totally different, it is a hydro-static automatic trans and it has to be electronically controlled, no other way around it.
Oh geez - I have "Rincon" on the brain - I *meant* to say "RECON."

Public Service Announcement: When making threads asking for help, please do so before your 4th glass of scotch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Original thread edited.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Ahhhh??? You did say Recon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: RancherATCrazy
Ahhhh??? You did say Recon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Sho nuff! That thing is a little brick - it's a lotta fun but pretty capable for a 2WD unit - best of all, it was CHEAP. It was part of a 2 ATV + Trailer package that I bought. I wasnt' crazy about it, but hell, it was free. I ended up liking it more than the ATV I thought I wanted [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Oh, and I edited my original post - it used to say Rincon [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 05-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Honda doesnt reccomend shifting the es models, with the lever, and shaft, while moving. Thats probably why the lever is such a sloppy fit on the shaft, so you wont be tempted to use it , unless you have too.
If you really dont like the es, the cheapest way out, is to trade up to a s model. Ive heard of all the es models, the recon is the most reliable. What kind of problems are you haveing..or are you just disappointed with it?

Old 05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Honda doesnt reccomend shifting the es models, with the lever, and shaft, while moving. Thats probably why the lever is such a sloppy fit on the shaft, so you wont be tempted to use it , unless you have too.
If you really dont like the es, the cheapest way out, is to trade up to a s model. Ive heard of all the es models, the recon is the most reliable. What kind of problems are you haveing..or are you just disappointed with it?
Ahh that's a bummer! I was hoping that it would be as simple as fabbing up a foot shifter and away I go. Oh well.

I'm currently experiencing what I believe to be issues with the angle sensor. I get either the 3 blinks or the 8 blinks on the gear indicator. I have cleaned out the sensor and still the issue persists, so I'm going to have to replace it. Not really THAT big of a deal I guess - but was looking for alternative solutions.

After I located the sensor, however, it made me wonder what kind of planning engineers Honda hires. I mean if it were ME, I wouldn't put sensitive (or even 'semi sensitive') equipment behind the front tire where water and mud can affect it.

So all this being said, where would best place to purchase this unit from? Cost isn't as much of a factor to me as service is.

Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2006, 07:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You could try ronnies or service honda, but your local dealer will probably be close to them on price.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

You could try ronnies or service honda, but your local dealer will probably be close to them on price.
Got a link for Ronnies per chance?

Old 05-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: TheModfather

After I located the sensor, however, it made me wonder what kind of planning engineers Honda hires. I mean if it were ME, I wouldn't put sensitive (or even 'semi sensitive') equipment behind the front tire where water and mud can affect it.

Thanks again!

lol obviously you don't ride that hard, because unless they put the angle sensor on the handlebars, my sensor would be/is underwater and mud every ride

Quick Reply: Kind of a strange question, but does anyone make....