Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

How much snow can I go through

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 12:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first winter with a ATV and I was wondering how much snow I can go through before getting stuck? I have 27 inch titans. I plan on doing alot of ice fishing and dont want to get stuck half way out. thanks

Old 11-21-2000, 12:44 PM
Trailblazer

It all depends on if its powder snow or wet snow. You will get hung up way faster with wet snow. Also depends if there is ice or dirt under you for traction. There wasn't much snow last year, but even at its deapest point, Our es with 27" Blackwaters had NO problems ice fishing or trail riding. Unless we were hitting deep drifts. The good news is that its much easier to get out of snow than it is mud! Bring a shovel.

Old 11-21-2000, 02:27 PM
Bis
Trailblazer

I had my Rubicon out in Montana this year and we were up in the mountains going through up to 2 feet of snow in places. When you get stuck, it will be because of ground clearance, if you can get one wheel on dirt the Rubicon will pull through. I'm sold on the new Sur-Trac front diff. Out on the ice it'll be a different story. (Obviously) Just keep your speed up when approaching a drift. Chains may help on the ice too.

Old 11-21-2000, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

yep ground clearance is the deal, just make sure you don't get in a bowl with no way out. They ain't snowmobiles. Out here my particular grin is the crusted snow, then you can just just fly, keep an eye out for things like washes though especially at night.

98 450-s stock
Blackwaters

Old 11-21-2000, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with Bis, the Rubicon will really surprise you in the snow. As much as the old 400 and 300 would plow through the snow. The new AP diff on the Rancher and Rubicon impressed me MORE in the snow than in the mud. The Rubicon has 27" Vamps and no lift kit yet, but the thing will plow and keeps on pulling hard. But nothing replaces a shovel in those certain instences we all hate. Being STUCK!!!!

Old 11-21-2000, 07:22 PM
JRM
Pro Rider

I aventured off a sled trail and got into 10 feet of power with my POS 200SX. No shovle could help as it sank to the barrs and all I could do was pick up the front and move it over a few inches then same with the rear.. everytime I picked up the quad It shuved me 3 feet down so all in all it took me 2 hours to get the quad 10 feet onto hardpack wich was a freakin nightmear.. A 600lb quad surly ment a come-a-long or winch

Old 11-21-2000, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

It all depends on how fast you are going. I have been stuck in snow 1 foot deep when I was in first gear, but wide open down a road and I have gone trough snow drifts that were oner my quad. You can go through a foot of powder all day, but if you go up a hill that has ice underneath, forget it. It all depends on Traction, speed, ground clearence, and snow condition. Good luck and have fun this winter, it is my favorite time to ride.

Old 11-21-2000, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

My foreman is basicly stock with a few modifications and i go riding with my snowmobile buddies, boy do i ever get stuck, I've had my foreman burried in snow that was above the handlebars. The key is to keep up momentum and if you can zig zag to push the snow away from your front end so it doesnt accumulate and slow ya down. Have fun! Oh and it's never a bad idea to have a tow strap in your storage compartment along with a shovel tied down to the rack.

Old 11-22-2000, 07:21 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, the shovel and tow strap are a must. I went riding in all the snow were getting here in NW pa. I really got stuck today, but the snowmobiles got stuck worse. I could push myself backwards, after digging for 10 minutes.

Old 11-22-2000, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

I do alot of ice fishing in the winter and find they do not go through no more than two feet of virgin snow.Luckly every lake has hard packed snowmobile trails going to them . The lakes are always wind swept so there is no more than a foot or so of snow on them with a hard ice or snow base and you can go any where you want on the lakes.

Quick Reply: How much snow can I go through