Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

05 Rancher ES killing the battery, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Rancher ES killing the battery, any thoughts?

I've had this 05 Honda Rancher 350 ES w/ auto trans since Jan 06 and it keeps killing the battery. Been a problem from day 1 and the dealer claims it just needs to be charged and nothing wrong with Rancher. At first I thought it may have been because of constant on and off (primarily utility use) but then went out on 40 mile hard core trailing and still the battery is weak after a couple starts. Local dealer gives me the same speech about charging it and it'll be off warranty in a couple of weeks. It doesn't have any added electrical items such as winches, etc., just stock.

Any ideas would be helpful for next call to dealer for warranty work........

Thanks
digitalize

Old 05-21-2006, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

This problem could be caused by anything from a draw to a bad battery.
Here is my 2 cents.
You bought the quad new and it does not work. MAKE the dealer fix it.
We have the same unit for work. The thing sat in storage for over 6 months. I told my boss I was going to need some jumper cables to start the thing. We did not have any so I desided to go out there and see if there was any juice in the battery at all. Long story short, the thing lit off and ran like it had been started yesterday.
You need to get this done before the warranty is up.
Write down the dates and times it was in the shop and what they told you.

Things for the shop to check. Put the battery on a load checker. Battery bad.......replace. Battery good:
Take a volt meter and check for a draw.

Old 05-23-2006, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

After a half hour of being bounced around on the phone at my local dealer, they finally agreed to look at it again (I threatened to take it to another dealer, which is like 60 miles away). I argued that I think it's the battery that's not holding charge because I can run accessories off the 12V plug with no trouble with engine running and they said they would charge it again......... Would the battery be covered under warranty?

Digitalize

Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: digitalize
After a half hour of being bounced around on the phone at my local dealer, they finally agreed to look at it again (I threatened to take it to another dealer, which is like 60 miles away). I argued that I think it's the battery that's not holding charge because I can run accessories off the 12V plug with no trouble with engine running and they said they would charge it again......... Would the battery be covered under warranty?

Digitalize
defective battery should be...

so you only ahve used on batt so far. havent tried to replace one yet?
maby be a defective batt.. as my rancher can be started in -10 degrees fareignhite and be puirfectly fine [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
or can be left alone for months and start prefectly fine
check the connections.. you might also have a bad alternater.. so its not charging the batt?