Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

need some help with rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help with rear axle

Okay I have a problem here. This is on a o5 Rubicon. Somehow on the rear axle the part with the 4 studs got bent and the tire wobbles whenever I ride it. I made sure it wasn't the wheel. I jacked it up and switched the back wheels and it still wobbles. Only thing I can think of is the tire that this happened on the nuts came loose and right before I noticed the nuts loose, I tried to do a donut and put alot of weight on that tire. Could that have done it? I was using Mudlites with c-series type 4 rims when all this happened. Could there be any other damage from riding with a wobble?
Also, do I have to buy the whole axle or can I just buy the piece with the 4 studs on it? And where would be the best place to buy it?

Old 05-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the wheel off hub and inspect the hub you should be able to tell if it is warped the stud bolts can sometime's broken loose from the axle hub itself. If you visually see that hub is warped you'll have to replace just the hub, but don't continue to ride the quad like this; if you do you will damage the bearing and axle splines and have to replacethe intire assemble. you might find one on ebay, that way you will get an idea of the costs for repair. Then you can contact your local dealer and compare prices. I hope this helps...........williebee

Old 05-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

I looked at the hub but can't tell that it's warped but with the wheel on there I put in gear and give it gas I can see it wobble. So I don't have to replace the entire axle?

Old 05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider

You may have warped the axle, i hope not but try this jack all 4 wheels off the ground if you don't have a set of jack stands you can use concrete blocks to keep all 4 wheels from touching the ground. onnce you get all 4 wheels off the ground try this, but loosen the wheel that's wobbling so you can remove it for this test, remove the one thats wobbling and start up the engine engauge the tranny and give it some gas; watch the the hub to see if it still wobbling. If it does then you have a warped hub or axle and this will be expensive to repair; i have seen where one or more of the studs would break loose from the hub. But you should be able to tell when this happens by just looking at the back side of the hub or by feeling the studs for looseness; i hope it's not axle but this is the only way i know of to tell for sure ! And one other thing is the side that wobbles on the brake side of the axle, i'm assuming you have disc brake's 2 on front and one on the rear ???? I'm not sure on the Honda's i know on the newer year model's some do and some don't ! My brother had an 02 Rancher 4x4 and his has the the drum type brake's, i've got to get outside and repair my lawnmower now; but if you want to let me know what you find out i'll check the tread later tonight...........williebee

Old 05-25-2006, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Why do I have to jack up all 4 wheels? Why not just jack the back wheels up? And the tire that is wobbling is on the opposite side of the brake drum. I ordered a new hub today. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I won't be able to find out until tuesday.
I took the axle nut off and took the hub off. With the bike jacked up I put it in gear and gave it some gas. I watched the axle spin and it didn't spin perfectly. Should it spin perfectly? Also I left the tire on the other side. Will that affect how the axle spins? Should I take the tire off?

Old 05-26-2006, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't know if your rubi was fulltime four wheel drive, that's the reason i said to jack all four wheel's off the ground ! About the axle not spinning perfectly and if leaving the other rear wheel on it's possible that it might efect the axle balance let me askyou another question does your quad have the straight swingarm axle?? if it does it shouldn't efect the balance Very much, but it doesn't take very much warpage to make a wheel to worble. If the axle is warped a good machineshop might be able to straighten it out,; but with the cost of labor being what it is you might come out cheaper to buy a replacement ! I hope it's just the hub , i would've told you to take it to a local dealer and have them check it out, the honda dealer in my hometown ripped me off on a repair job on a 1986 TRX350 Forman 4x4 it was my first ATV i had taken it in for a starter rebuild that was only about 50 bucks , the repair bill was over 300.00 when i went to pick it up !! And worse when i went to unload it at home there was a puddle of oil in my truck bed. The kid who worked on the quad had stripped the drain plug, when i took it back to have it fixed they tried to say i stripped it myself and they would repair it for 250.00 ! I bought a heli - coil kit for 40.00 and retread the drain hole myself, the dealer didn't even want to pay me the 40.00 so i got a lawer and had to sue the dealer ; dealer wound up paying me 2000.00 + court costs. Needless to say after being in business for over 20yrs. he sold out a year later. There are dealer's out there who sell you an ATV , then when you need part's or repair work they will stick it to you ! Let me know if the hub does the fix, i know how costly these thing's are to keep up even when you do your own labor. I was wrong about my brother's Rancher it's a 2004 model instead of 02 , we work on our own quad's his was under warrantee His dealer is the one who bought out the one that ripped me off, they told my brother it would take three to four week's before they could do the 100 mile oil change and service . I had bought 10 oil filters for 19.99 on ebay , the 350 Rancher had the same filter that my 86 Foreman used so i sold him 5 and kept 5 .. I sold my Foreman and a 93' suzuki 300 KQ to my youngest brother and his wife, and i bought a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 fis Auto, it has the suzuki engine with a belt driven clutch it's easier for me because i don't have to change the gears. I still think honda is the number 1 ATV on the market but i couldn't get finance on the honda, so i bought a cat. Well man i guess it's past bedtime gotta go but post a reply to let us know if it was only the hub because it could be of use for other's who may have the same problem later on..............williebee