Old 06-09-2006 | 10:42 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

Old 06-09-2006 | 10:43 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 300ex power?

can they wheelie without using clutch and are they any good for a couple silt hills.

Old 06-09-2006 | 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

I own one. I'm pretty happy with mine, especially as I weigh in at 128 lbs. I can get wheelies in fourth with the clutch, and it pops up pretty easy in third without the clutch. On hard pack dirt/rock with my new gearing and tires, I can pop it up and ride it in fifth. (with a questionably violent clutch dump) Mine started at about 21 HP at the crank, and now it's up to (I estimate) 26, after a bunch of intake mods, a HMF pipe, and shiny stuff. (also known to produce marginal horsepower gains) I played with jetting alot to get my engine to maximum happiness. All my wheelie claims are with the mentioned mods, which I consider a basic necessity for any bike to maximize rider/machine hotness. As for the hill climbs, and (especially the silt thing) it shouldn't have problems. Mine had enough power (stock) to lift itself clear back over my head during an unfortunate hillclimb, and never really "drops off" power-wise. It's climbability will be based mainly on rider skill and tire choices. On a finishing note, the 300ex can't be expected to beat a 400ex EVER on the track, but due to its geometry and weight distribution, it has become one of the best tight trail bikes ever made by anyone. For ANY other questions post again or PM me. I know my baby inside and out. Oh yea I forgot. The stupid headlight is a piece of crap. I have a solution to fix the headlight problem-if you need it let me know.

Old 06-10-2006 | 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

Don't forget to add a few stickers....good 4 at least 5mph increase [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2006 | 09:48 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default 300ex power?

The stock header on the little 300 is pathetic! A UNI air filter, vented airbox lid, header and muffler, will do wonders for this machine. Back in the day, I use to bust out pretty big air on one of these.

It's a quad for smaller individuals, like intermediate kids and beginner adults (who are willing to work a clutch). Or, full size adults who want a machine that will fit between the trees easily. It is underpowered for places like the dunes, but with the right rider (a light rider), it does just fine.

It's biggest problem is that it is almost as heavy as a 400EX, and way heavier than a Blaster (which is more fun to ride). But lighter and more agile than a Warrior/Raptor 350.

Old 06-10-2006 | 05:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

What he said. It's about 1-2 lbs. heavier than the 400, but 1000 dollars cheaper. Thats what got me. I've also heard that the 300 engine has something of a reputation for durability. It has a relatively low (almost sloppy for a sport quad) compression ratio, flopping in at 8.9:1, and a cam that I hear could have used some mild adjustment. However, when left alone, the engine apparently doesn't die. I especially agree with the lightweight rider comment made above. I'm fine (almost 18 and barely pushing 128 lbs.) but my 300 doesn't agree with my 220 lb. friend. The suspension is beautiful. (At least when compared to the Blaster) In my icon, I could have cleared my brother sitting on his 250ex, I landed on flat ground, and it almost just barely sorta bottomed out. Nothing near a slap.

Old 06-11-2006 | 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex power?

i used to own a 300ex untin about a week ago, they are pretty powerful little things, they wheelie like crazy even without the clutch and can hillclimb just about any hill my dad's 650 rincon could, not to mention its insane ability to go through mud and slop. by far the most capible 2X4 ive ridden, and thats dead stock, not a single mod. my only complaint is the top speed on a stock one i can only aquire 57mph.

Old 06-22-2006 | 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex power?

I have a 03 300ex with a DG pipe and my dad has bone stock 05 400ex and in a drag he only beats me by about 10 feet. If I change my sprokets and maybe a couple more small mods i will be on his *** down the drag strip. He mainly gets me out of the gate and with new sprokets I can fix that. So saying that a 300ex will never keep up with a 400ex is wrong.

I also Love my 300 ex. I have totally customized it and it is by far the best bike i have ever been on.

03 honda 300ex... Custom racing plastics..Full DG exhaust, nerf bars and grab bar / Custom headlights, seat, shock covers, Front bumber / Maxxis Razzr holeshots on rear....nothing too mean but nothing looks like this one......

Old 06-22-2006 | 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex power?

Well sure. If you're riding the most hooked up 300ex and racing a stock 400 with a heavier person, maybe you'd have a chance. BUT -- I was letting him know that if he's at the track or something, don't expect to be beating 400ex's because they are simply superior in design, both suspension and engine. There's no replacement for displacement. There's also no replacement for more power in a more stable and lighter weight frame. (I just don't use that one very often because it doesn't rhyme.)

Also, future 300ex owner, be prepared to be beaten by screaming Blasters. I always thought the 250ex was Honda's long-due answer to the Blaster. It's not. The 300ex is closest, and it's still a little slow without mods. Just take heart and smile when they're at home doing a top end and you're out practicing with your reliable Honda four-stroker.

Old 06-22-2006 | 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default 300ex power?

Ok that was stupid. I was signed on as my notably less experienced brother. I'm the guy who really said that ^. ...And to the dude who has an uncontrollable obsession with his sweet 300- You need to post some pictures of how you did your headlight because my stock one is retarded. Plus I want to see your bike.

Quick Reply: 300ex power?