Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Chain Lube???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Lube???

They also make a chain cleaning brush. Sort of a u-shaped wire brush that scrubs all the junk off of the top and sides of the chain. I have not personally used one because I have a solvent tank and I clean my chains frequently, but it might help you with your deal.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chain Lube???

Originally posted by: reconranger
Maxima Chain WAX! It dries, and will not attract dirt. <a href="http://www.maximausa.com/products/chainlubes/chainwax.asp">http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch....asp</A>

Your O-ring chain is permanently lubed internally at the factory. Each pivot is injected with grease, and the O-ring is just there to hold the grease in. You do need to lube the outside where it interfaces with the sprockets, and you want a lube that will keep the O-rings from getting brittle and cracking.

Do not ever use anything that is wet and will attract dirt. Never use WD-40. It is to thin to do any good at all (it's just Kerosene), and in fact it is so thin that it can slip past the O-rings, and ruin your chan by dissolving the grease in each pivot.
LOL dont ust WD-40, Buddy do you know thats all pro MX racers use is WD-40???????? Ask Doug Gust or his mechanic or jeremeh Jones, John natalie Jr. thats all they recremend is WD-40. Thats all i have ever used and i have had the same chain since i got my bike in 04

Old 06-13-2006, 01:26 AM
Range Rover
Default Chain Lube???

Allright YFZ you called it out. I was was going to stay away from this one because everyone has their own way of lubing chains because of who they hang with and what they beleve, but I agree with you on this... for the most part. First off, any lube is better than no lube. WD-40 is more than fine....for a non O-Ring chain, but personally I would probably use something else on a O-ring chain. Trust me, I run sand and years ago I even tried running it dry (non O-ring chain)without anything (Some dude said "it was the way.") and killed a chain in a few trips. It was shiny,clean and kinked up when I tossed it.

The reason why most new hypo dirt bikes (and why I don't either) run O-ring chains is because they take more work to turn and suck horsepower. However, they don't last as long either. Also, if you have ever installed a new O-ring chain, they are so saturated in sticky grease it takes a few good scrubing washes to get it off of your hands after putting them on....so yes they are doused in greased and greased before they are probably assembled. if fact you will never get a better grease job on a chain than when you buy it new.

One thing is for sure is, get over it chains get dirty and need to be cleaned no matter what. If you want to be crazy about a clean chain like me, The best thing I have found is to run a non O-ring chain and solvent tank the chain every trip, then re-lube and re-install. Or, run the less labor intentsive route and talk to guys you run with, observe how their stuff works/looks, try new things and then stick with what you like.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain Lube???

MXers are interested is speed, and nothing else. They are willing to sacrifice long term chain life for short term performance. They have the luxury of returning to the pits and relubing their chain after every moto.

Not so with a cross-country rider out in the desert 100 miles from his truck! Ride through one water crossing or mud hole, and that wimpy WD-40 is gone!

Both internally and externally, lubrication on a chain is all about having something that withstands HIGH PRESSURE. Rub some dry wax between your fingers, then rub some WD-40, and you will get the picture.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Default Chain Lube???

Um, I have never lubed the chian on my TRX 200, does this have a O-ring?

What is the cheapest stuff I can use for it, that is also sold at Fleet Farm? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chain Lube???

All i do is drag race every weekend just sit at the strip and go in one direction, and like ive said i have never put a new chain on since i have owned my yfz and all i lube it with is WD-40. Now i have the chain off all the time changing my gear ratio and its the same everytime chain had no bad hard spots nothing just like it was new, but thats only my 2 cents