Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Chain Lube???

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain Lube???

Does anyone know the best chain lube to use for my 2002 400ex. My chain has alot of grit and grime on it because i ride in alot of sand mudd and water and i want to get it off. My uncle mentioned a product called JP-1 but ive never heard of it. ANY SUGGESTIONS???????

Old 06-11-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Chain Lube???

If you ride in sand alot you do not want anything sticky like the PJ-1 treatment, the bast lube to use in sandy conditions is WD-40.

Old 06-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Range Rover
Default Chain Lube???

I agree. Your 400ex probably has an o-ring chain, which means it has a lubricant sealed inside. All you need is something to prevent surface rust.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain Lube???

Maxima Chain WAX! It dries, and will not attract dirt. http://www.maximausa.com/products/ch...s/chainwax.asp

Your O-ring chain is permanently lubed internally at the factory. Each pivot is injected with grease, and the O-ring is just there to hold the grease in. You do need to lube the outside where it interfaces with the sprockets, and you want a lube that will keep the O-rings from getting brittle and cracking.

Do not ever use anything that is wet and will attract dirt. Never use WD-40. It is to thin to do any good at all (it's just Kerosene), and in fact it is so thin that it can slip past the O-rings, and ruin your chan by dissolving the grease in each pivot.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default Chain Lube???

I just have a ? for dirt bike chains. What kind of lube for Honda dirt bikes? thanks.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Red Rider
Default Chain Lube???

I think all quads come with O-ring chains, but some "motocross" dirt bikes do not. What dirt bike do you have???

Non-O-ring chains have to be lubed with oil that will penetrate each pivot, because they are NOT injected with grease at the factory. And of course, they then have to be cleaned with solvent......often. The idea is that the O-rings cause drag, and you can go faster with a non-O-ring chain. It's not worth the trouble! If you have a non-O-ring chain, swap it out for an O-ring one.........

Old 06-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Chain Lube???

Just like what Reconranger said. Try Maxima chain wax. Great stuff and doesent fly off and get on everything.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Chain Lube???

my sons have a Honda CRF100 and a 70cc thanks/

Old 06-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Red Rider
Default Chain Lube???

I am not sure if the low end bikes have O-rings or not. Should be easy to tell, by just looking at the chain.

I have never owned a non-O-ring chain, so I am at a loss to tell you what is best for lubing it. Post the question in thumpertalk.com

Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 PM
The Facility
Default Chain Lube???

Your full fledged motocrossers never come with o-ring chains. They keep the weight as low as they can get it.
Other dirtbikes just vary by brand and type, but very few come with o-ring chians.

I used the Maxima Chain Wax until about 3 years when I switched to the BelRay"Superclean" series.
But last year I tried this new product from Motorex called Fomula series chain lube. Motorex is not know that well in the states, but they are based in Switzerland and have brand recognition there much like BelRay does here.
I havent ran across a chain lube yet close to this stuff. It doesnt dry as tacky as the BelRay and Maxima, but slingoff is still kept to a minimum and as for lubing goes. You can tell the difference by spraying different lubes on the same chain and watch the stuff in action. We were sold it after the demo and now every racer we have who can afford the stuff has switched.
It would take one helluva lube for me to make another switch. It really does stand out that much over the others.

Quick Reply: Chain Lube???