Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!

Sorry,
I was not picking up the correct tone in your writing, but now after re-reading....I gottcha!

Old 06-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

There was no 400 outy's or 450 Kodiaks within a second of my time either, so I definately do not beleive the B.S myth that those outy 400's will take a new Rube in a drag. Hope you like my story.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;

The Outlander holds it's own against 500 class ATV's...to be only a second off a 500 is fairly impressive. If the 400 is only a second off of the Rubicon 500 I wonder how the new Outlander 500 v-twin would perform against it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: raidermike67
There was no 400 outy's or 450 Kodiaks within a second of my time either, so I definately do not beleive the B.S myth that those outy 400's will take a new Rube in a drag. Hope you like my story.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;

The Outlander holds it's own against 500 class ATV's...to be only a second off a 500 is fairly impressive. If the 400 is only a second off of the Rubicon 500 I wonder how the new Outlander 500 v-twin would perform against it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])
Well, first of all i think he said "there was no 400 outy's or 450 Kodiaks within a second of my time either, so I definately do not beleive the B.S myth that those outy 400's will take a new Rube in a drag." Meaning that they were more than a second behind.

My thoughts on the outty 500 is that in a 200 ft drag race I think it would be close to the rubicon. The bomb website says that it has 54% more power than the rubi. However, I would still put my money on the Honda. My reasoning is, I have taken a Rubicon out for a test ride and comparing it to a Grizzly ( which I also took out on a different occassion) I would have to give the acceleration to the Honda. It is quicker off the line. I've talked to several people on here that have raced them both and the verdic was that the Rubi would hold 2 to 3 bike lengths lead up to 35 to 40 mph. After that the grizzly's top end took over and over took the Honda. This seems to match with what Pete 16 is saying. If you read his post he said that the 800 Bomb was only 2 seconds faster on the same course. For the people that haven't riden a Rubicon, I'm here to tell you that this thing is very, very quick off the line.

Now, Having said all that, when it comes to 2 seconds differents on a 200ft run between a 800 bomb and a 500 rubicon that statistic is splitting hairs comparing it to day to day trail riding. However, one statistic that I did notice about the ride of the rubicon, that was far ahead of ever other machine that I have ever riden, was the quality. Nothing and I do mean nothing compares to the Honda for quality and that is a much more important statistic to me. When in 5 years most machines are making funny noises and things don't feel quite right that Honda will still run like new. In 10 years, most units require major repairs and some take a one way ride to a land fill. The Honda will still be riding strong. So your question again was "I wonder how the new Outlander 500 v-twin would perform against it." My answer to that is the Rubicon would out perform it by many, many of years.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Just for the record the BomB 800's were running an average of 8.4 seconds for 2 passes and nothin touched them.>>>>>>>>>>

No the Rubicon wasn't close to the Outlander 800. I don't believe for a second a Rubicon would beat or outperform an Outlander 500, you posted mere assumption without any facts to back it up.

The bomb website says that it has 54% more power than the rubi. However, I would still put my money on the Honda.>>>>>>>

Your reasoning makes no sense. As far as holding up, I'm willing to be the Outlander will hold up just as well as a Rubicon.....do you have any evidence to suggest otherwise?

Old 06-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

Just for the record the BomB 800's were running an average of 8.4 seconds for 2 passes and nothin touched them.>>>>>>>>>>

No the Rubicon wasn't close to the Outlander 800. I don't believe for a second a Rubicon would beat or outperform an Outlander 500, you posted mere assumption without any facts to back it up.

The bomb website says that it has 54% more power than the rubi. However, I would still put my money on the Honda.>>>>>>>

Your reasoning makes no sense. As far as holding up, I'm willing to be the Outlander will hold up just as well as a Rubicon.....do you have any evidence to suggest otherwise?
No! I said i think the Rubicon would edge it. I'm basing it on drag racing with other quad and that's how I made my assumption. Of course we won't know for sure until someone comes on here and tell a story like pete 16 did. But for now it's just my opinion.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Range Rover

Just a couple of sidenotes here guys! One thing that may be over looked in this type of drag race is the tranny. I truly beleive my tranny completely blasted the belt drive of the Polaris. I've heard many times how other 500's like Vinson's and 500ho's make way more power than the Rubicon 500. I personally don't know, but the fact that the Honda engine is transversly mounted, it is a relatively light bike at (600lbs) and also the Hondamatic seems to deliver power just about as efficiently as you could get.....these traits could easily more than make up for a slight power deficit.
Now I assume most people have not driven a new Rube or a CTE, but I can assure Kmdad is right that they are indeed quick accelerators. They are noticeably faster than the 04 Rube's (Canadian versions) and I have completely spanked 2 500ho's now in a drag race, so they are not slow in the 500 class like many people still keep saying. Like Kmdad said, they will also get off faster than a Grizz up to 35mph....I've done it atleast 10-12 times to my buddies 04 Grizz. I even think that even though my buddies Grizz always passes me, I might have had him beat in this type of sprint though. 200 ft. probably isn't enough room for him to catch me and I did have a better time than 2 other Grizzly's.
You see I wanted to go in this competition knowing that this type of 200ft. sprint is exactly what my CTE is good at. It really is my type of game, although I'm sure with my suspension and SRA I would likely spank them on trails too. I have no idea how fast the new Bomb 500 will be, maybe it will spank me, but I also think being within 2 lenths of a new BF650 that had a 110lbs rider on it, is impresive.
The fastest 400-450 class bike was the outy, and I believe it was mid 12's. Like Mike said though, there is no doubt that the outy 400's hold there own real well against the 500's, as do the Kodiak 450's. However I was closer to the BF650 than the 400's were to me!
One other sidenote....of the 4 Bomb 800's that were there, 2 of them seemed to be having some type of problems with them. I guess they may need that 3 year warranty!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:38 PM
Range Rover

[quote]

Actually that was the fastest Bomb 800. the rest of them were in the low 9's. They were only about a second faster than my CTE each pass over the 200ft. I am only guessing but based on my times and the BF650 times which beat me by 2 lenghts....I figure the 800 would be about 8-10 quad lengths ahead of me.

Old 06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

RaiderMike67, it kills me, ever since Bombardier has entered the world of ATV's (and IMO that was like 2 years ago) they ONLY thing they have to brag about is their power. I've ridden a 400 H.O. and i was not impressed at all. Not impressed with the TTI and they copied Polaris' 4x4 system. ALL BOMB HAS IS POWER. Which is very important to some, but ill take a Rubicon 500, ANYDAY over a Bomb500, simply because, Bomb's are ugly as sin (IMO) and are not proven yet, and also there isint a Bomb dealer around here in any direction for like 500 miles....

Nice results with you're Rubicon Pete. I am still a Honda loyalists at heart. I certainly wish there was a way to get the CTE down here, so consider yourself lucky.
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Sold

Old 06-13-2006, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Thanks Jon,
I didn't want to say but you are right.....Those Bomb's are damn ugly. I looked over all of the quads there that day and I hate to brag but Honda still seems like they are way ahead in terms of fit and finish. Alot of guys there were really impressed with the CTE. It just seemed more refined than most of the others. People couldn't get over how smooth and quiet it seemed, yet very quick. It was actually quite a little sleeper that took them by surprise, but at the end of the day people knew all about it. Darn! there will be no more foolin them.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:31 PM
Range Rover

Good to see another Ontarian riding the big red!!
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!