Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!

I speak from much experience here, via owning polaris, honda and now yamaha and a wealthy lifelong farmin friend. Ill have to take your word on the newest rubicons being snappy because i dont have experience with newest models. BUT, im telling you right the hell now, the first two model year rubicons stand absolutely no chance of out dragging a 500 H.O Sportsman. And before im blasted for saying this me and my friend know how to ride and i mean it. Hes had many Hondas and they bought a '02 Rubicon but did not have it very long, We ran several drag races in a low cut field near his house with the ruby vs my YES my Rancher 350 4x4 S. Which was one peppy lil dude. Not once did i win, BUT he never beat me by over 3-4 lengths and im not a liar. I could ride the hell out that rancher and it was pretty stought for a 350. My Sportsman would have promptly ousted it but we no longer rode it. His uncle bought a 02 green rubicon and put some 26 inch tris on it i belive and i could out drag it strapped in a wheelchair lol. Now like i said i can not speak of the newer models so peace out

Old 06-14-2006, 08:14 AM
Range Rover

Yes those Ranchers are peppy lil dudes. I don't doubt that you were that close to an 02 Rube. I've heard many times that 500ho's will blow away Rubicon's (not CTE's) and I won't dispute it because I am not sure one way or the other. I do know this though....a 200ft. drag is very short and the rider's reaction time is important as well as the machines ability to get off quick with strong follow up. In my experience, I have not seen a 500ho be able to get off the line anywhere close to me. Three of them at the drags this past weekend didn't even compete at all with me. I was actually very dissapointed in them because to be honest, I was worried about being able to beat them. Their power to weight ratio just is not as good as a CTE. The 500ho's were not even turning as quick of times as the Kodiak 450's. Now to their defence....the 500ho's were only 03's and 04's, so maybe an 05 or 06 would have been faster, but like I said I was pretty well a half track ahead of the 500ho so that's a hell of alot to make up.

Old 06-14-2006, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

Yea i hear on what you mean about getting the holeshot. Thats bad that the kodiak riders turned in faster times because i own a 450 kodiak and it was a slug to me when i had stock tires on it. Its now equipped with 26inch SwampLites. Sharp lookin machine with them. But, man it just has no snap in acceleration at all lol. I used to track atv info real good but i dropped out of it for a couple years, dont mean to look dumb here but what does the CTE stand for? let me know good ridin

Old 06-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Kernel, "CTE" stands for Canadian Trail Edition. Congrats on the races, Pete. Sounds like you put a lot of thought and effort into it. The local ATV mud drags they started doing here sound very similar to this. A bit wet and a bit slimy, but definitely not "muddy." I watched the inaugural last year and I think I'll enter the King this year if I can get my hands on a new CDI from Velocity Devices. The only thing that sucks about ours is that there is no utility and sport classes: they run together. Last year, the 700 Prairies did very well for themselves, but a Bombardier DS650 just stole the show for obvious reasons. Nevertheless, I think I could have a good showing. Also, you are right about the Polaris transmissions taking a long time to wrap up. I've noticed on every single Polaris automatic I've ridden that it takes a noticeably greater amount of revs to get the machine moving and keep it moving than any belt-driven Japanese quad I've piloted. You are also very correct about the Hondamatic being one of, if not the most, power-efficient automatic trannies in the business. Easily more so than any stock belt drive system. However, when those guys with rubberbands start toying with their clutch components such as springs, weights, etc.....look out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Range Rover

Goblin,
The conditions of the drag race was exactly what you described. That is why they call them mud drags, not mud bogs...although there also was a mud bog contest, which I was not interested in entering. I am sure you will do well with your King, but I would suggest taking the time to tweek your quad a bit if you can. I think if you take it a bit serious and put some thought into preparation you can do even better. I know its only for fun but if you can improve your quad by a couple lengths, it could be the difference ....it's just more fun to over achieve than under achieve.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Oh believe me, the competitive fire burns brighter than ever when it comes to my machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

You are also very correct about the Hondamatic being one of, if not the most, power-efficient automatic trannies in the business. Easily more so than any stock belt drive system. However, when those guys with rubberbands start toying with their clutch components such as springs, weights, etc.....look out
>>>>>>>>>>>

Automakers turn to gearless transmissions to improve gas mileage
By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Sun Jun 11, 7:03 PM

Instead of slicker aerodynamics or reduced horsepower, automakers scrambling to increase mileage amid skyrocketing gas prices are going straight to an unexpected place — the transmission.

Nissan and DaimlerChrysler are hoping to raise gas mileage by up to 10% in models by equipping them with a type of computer-controlled transmission that never shifts gears. Called continuously variable transmissions or CVTs, these high-tech gearing systems let engines move seamlessly through the power range.

Auto enthusiasts aren't always fans of CVT. In some versions, it can sometimes create an odd driving experience as the car accelerates into mid-ranges. The engine might rev up to close to its maximum speed when the pedal is floored and stay there until the car picks up sufficient speed. Only then does the engine slow down.

General Motors' Saturn division tried CVT in the Vue SUV but changed back to a standard automatic transmission a couple years ago. "We felt the six-speed was a better place (for) our future," says Jerry Gillespie, the executive in charge of GM's compact crossover vehicles.

Chrysler Group engineers say they've overcome the problems. The computer detects when the car is revving up and adjusts the transmission to make the car feel as if it is running in a lower gear even as speed increases, says Frank Klegon, executive vice president of product development for Chrysler Group.

The new system, he says, is "pretty inventive."

Toyota has been using CVT in its hybrid vehicles, such as Toyota Prius and Lexus GS450h. Some drivers aren't accustomed to not being able to feel changing gears.

CVT "gives you a seamless range of gears, which some folks like and some don't," says Toyota engineer Dave Hermance.

How transmissions compare

The continuously variable transmission works differently than a standard automatic transmission.

Automatic transmission

The modern automatic transmission involves a series of gears — called planetary gears for the way they move around a central or sun gear. As a car goes faster, the low gear automatically shifts to a higher gear. The driver can hear or feel the change.

Continuously variable transmission

CVTs work on a system of belts and pulleys — kind of like the fan belt used to work in older cars. The difference is that the two spinning wheels, or pulleys, manipulate the belt to make it larger or smaller depending on the car's speed. The change is continuous, not gear-to-gear as in the regular automatic transmission. The driver may never sense the change.

The V-shaped belts are made of thin metal bands and small metal plates. They are more durable than rubber belts.

Who is using CVTs

Nissan. CVT already is in Nissan's Murano crossover SUV. Now it comes to its cars — Maxima, Altima and the new Versa subcompact. Jed Connelly, Nissan's U.S. marketing chief, says the CVT system can increase gas mileage up to 10%.

DaimlerChrysler. Patriot, Chrysler Group's new, most inexpensive Jeep, joins Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass in offering an optional advanced second-generation CVT. The system is billed as delivering up to 8% better fuel economy than a traditional four-speed automatic.

Ford. The V-6 engine in Ford Freestyle crossover SUV is paired with a CVT for better fuel economy. CVT also is used in the Ford Five Hundred and Mercury Montego sedan models that have all-wheel drive.

Audi. The German automaker has CVT available on all its sedans — the A4, A6 and A8. It first showed up in the late 1990s. "It's very popular," says Audi spokesman Peter Thul.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 AM
Pro Rider

A Hondamatic and your average automatic car transmission are very different. The Rincon's tranny is closer to a car tranny. Either way though, speaking in terms of ATVs currently on the market today, the Hondamatic is the best transmission going outside of sport riders with manual clutches. I believe it was reconranger, or maybe I'm mistaken, that had an article explaining the Hondamatic and how it was actually more power-efficient and obviously more reliable than a belt-drive CVT. Now, don't think I'm totally knocking belt-drives.....I own one! Just saying that if the entire 4x4 market adapted their own version of the Hondamatic to all their flagship models, at least, the industry would be just that much better for us customers. RedGoblin = 2 cents

Old 06-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Range Rover

agreed!
You know alot of people have no experience whatsoever with the Hondamatic. It's easy for us to come on here and talk steadily about it, and how we generally agree it is a noticeably better setup than the average rubberband. However, those who don't know.....I think would really be surprised if they spent some time with one. Not just a 10 minute ride either, actually putting it through it's paces and using it for the variety of chores we use quads for. I don't think you even need to be all that mechanicaly inclined to notice it's efficiency and overall performance. I am so intrigued by how an already impressive big bore might perform with a Hondamatic type tranny transferring the power. I did drive a Rincon once and although I did not spend alot of time on it, my initial impressions were that I was not nearly as impressed with it's tranny compared to the Rube's. When driving my Rube, I feel like I have so many options at my fingertips.....high,Low,D1,D2,ESP(in High and Low) now isn't that alot of tranny? it reminds me a tiny bit of my old quadrunner 2504wd, that had High,Low,Super-Low and 5 speeds in each range, except ofcourse it was not CV.

Old 06-18-2006, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

You dont realize how lucky you are to get the CTE edition. I know the ride is more comfortable, but does it have more power/speed/top end ?? Is there anyway to get the CTE Shocks, or something that improves the ride of the USA Rubicon? And i also heard the only color the CTE comes in, is Red? Anyway, unless Polaris unveils a new true 800, im not thinking twice about getting a 2007 Camo Rubicon. Ive always wanted one, and it'll be very unique having a Camo Honda. So anyway, after coming off of a cushy cadillac suspension of a Sportsman, and remembering how tortureous the Rancher's ride was, im a little concerned. And I HATE THE CTE! I WANT ONE!......
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Sold

Quick Reply: Rubicon wins 500 class at mud drags!