Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Honda announces Electric Power Steering (EPS) system for ATVs

Originally posted by: motox26
Originally posted by: garyc660R
Originally posted by: reconranger
Sounds like needless complexity, and of course it will drive up the price! Have all these lard a$$ utilities gotten so huge and heavy, that they now need power steering??? Freaking hillarious!
I would have to agree.
Me too.
AKA, "Change scares me"...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, the release date on the Honda article is 6/23. Yamaha kept their system under wraps to the public until unleashing the new Grizz, but it is actually ON a production model. Must be some corporate spying going on[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, how hard is it to turn the handlebars on a quad? its not like a 3000 lb car or something. turning is not hard. hmm pointless

Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd have to say that if you find a utility quad too hard to steer, it's time to trade the quad in for a hover-round.

That said, the bars do really slam over to the stop when you unexpectedly hit a rock or whatever, and doing something to reduce that seems like a good idea.

I'm just not sure why they didn't offer a damper...

Old 06-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Honda and Yamaha don't just want to sell quads to us. They want us to buy quads for our girlfriends and wives.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The whole big bore utility market is aimed at aging baby boomers! These folks are frail and fat, and they look at a sport quad and know that if they ever got it stuck, they are so wimpy that they could never get it unstuck. So, they go for the monster utility machines with big horsepower, 4wd, and of course TWO winches. Slap on some cushy IRS suspension, EFI, and they find these machines absolutely irresistable.

Now, just give them power steering for their larded up machines, and it's a dream ride..............

At some point, these machines become so big and heavy, that they really aren't even quads anymore. They are just little 4X4 trucks that have no roofs.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

more power too em. I'll ride with the frail, the fat, the old, the young. It's all good. I'm no expert and I don't expect anyone else to be either, just be safe.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

yep. this just encourages more laziness. atving is an engaging sport in varying degrees no matter what you ride.

i really dont see a point in having this on an atv. every ute ive been on- 2wd or 4wd- from recons to rincons and allot in between- i didnt have a problem steering them anywhere. if you cant steer an atv, you might not need to be on one in the first place...

i have an old ford truck that i mess around with and it doesnt have powersteering- once you are moving its not too bad but would be nicer to have pwr steering in it- but it weights 2 tons, not 500-600lbs!

totally useless, overhyped feature on an atv that will add to complexity and price and possible problems. wy didn they put the effor they used for this into developing a LIGHTER 4x4? it just shows that what they set out do and focus on developing- they can do it.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Anyone who's tried to maneuver with oversize tires, trailers, mowers, sprayers, snowplows, snow blowers, and the like will appreciate easier low speed turning. RR, I would have thought that you might have liked the idea of a stiffer handlebar at high desert speeds, which would effectively act as a variable damper.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Another issue is that the hardware puts added weight on the front end........where it does the most harm!