Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450 es shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450 es shifting problem

new here and been trying to solve a shifting prob on my 450 for a bit. Its a 2000 I bought knowing it had this problem. Sometimes it shifts fine, other times it will only shift halfway, and even other times it wont try to shift at all. Often the gear position indicator just reads as "--" The speedo also seems not to work, not sure if thats related or not. Seems like most often the problem is the sensor on these. Should I just change that or is there a way to confirm its the problem? I just dont want to go throwing parts at it and getting the wrong ones.
thanks for any help
mike

Old 06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

if the speedo doesnt work that is most likely the problem. The ECM reads wheel speed and engine RPM to compute how fast to disengage, shift, and re-engage the clutch. Obviously the process need to be done quicker at higher speeds and rpms. Try pulling any codes out, here's the procedure:

put the machine in neutral (might have to use the emergency shifter, but you'll get it there)
apply parking brake (dont know if you have too, but this is directly from the honda manual)
push and hold both upshift and downshift buttons..
turn key on, before the "N" appears on the gear indicator, release the switches then push and hold both of them again for more than 3 seconds. If there are any codes, the gear indicator will blink. 3 blinks is a code 3, 4 is a code 4, you get the idea.

The angle sensor is usually a code 3, 8, or 9

Vehicle speed sensor is 11

good luck

Old 06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Quicksilver...I didnt know the codes could be pulled from a 2000.

3kgtvr4, hows the battery doing? Does it hold a good charge? Are the battery connections clean and tight?

Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery is good. Thanks for the way to pull the codes. That is a great feature. I will do that in about an hour and post the results.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

3kgtvr4,

Do you have a Mitsu 3000GT VR-4? 3KGTVR4 is my license plate on my '95...

I'm having issues with my '06 Rancher ES not shifting properly too. Bummer under warranty and wondering if I made a mistake buying an ES?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

here is an update,

Couldnt get the codes to show, Tried several times.

After playing with it some I noticed that When it stops shifting I can usualy get it to shift again by turning the key off then back on without starting it. I took the shift motor apart and cleaned it including cleaning the brushes. The key turning off thing makes me lean more and more towards a sensor. Can someone tell me where the shift position sensor is and what it looks like? There is a sensor right next to the motor and above it a bit, That may be it but I cant see how people talk about cleaning it.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: DesertFox7266
3kgtvr4,

Do you have a Mitsu 3000GT VR-4? 3KGTVR4 is my license plate on my '95...

I'm having issues with my '06 Rancher ES not shifting properly too. Bummer under warranty and wondering if I made a mistake buying an ES?
What are your issues?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer

Flashing gear indicator. Won't shift, blinking 2 times in succession. Was in "N" so was flashing there, but will flash whatever gear indicated when manually shifted with the limp-home lever.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

turning the key off sorta "resets" the system, that's why it may start working again after you cycle the key.

there are 3 or 4 sensors the ES system uses. Mainly the Angle sensor, the Gear Position sensor, Speed sensor and the Pulse generator are used.

I would concentrate around that speed sensor, since your speedo doesnt work, check the wiring connector to the speedo sensor, should be on the rear of the engine near the rear shaft somewhere.

You might want to buy a manual, it would help you figure out wire colors and stuff.

check continuity from the speedo sensor end of the wires to the ECM and Speedometer. The speedo sensor is around 70 bucks if you want to throw a part at it.

Other wise the angle sensor is a common problem on the early models, and it's mounted very close to the shift motor, probably the one you described earlier, I do not believe there is any way to clean it just test it and replace it. That part is about 50 dollars.

again, buy a manual to help with wiring issues, trace the wiring and look for broken, chaffed or corroded wiring or connectors while you have stuff apart.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I have a honda manual on the way. I did trace most of the wiring and everything seems ok but without continuity tests its tough to know if there is a break somewhere. Will update when I know more

Quick Reply: 450 es shifting problem