Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??

I'm curious if Honda will make a BIG BORE 500, 600 or 650 sport quad. I been itching to see them do it.
I know...they released a 450R, but those were released and meant to be race quads. Too much damn maintenance for the everyday thumper in my opinion.
I'd love to see them release a quad with the XR500 plant in it, or the XR600.
All the dang wrenching on them has turned me off !!

Anyone hear any good rumors on a bigger thumper being released out there?? I did....that's why I posted this.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say "next big bore sport quad" like they've actually released one before, ever. The 450R is the largest displacement sport atv honda has ever had, and the xr650 bike is the only sport powerplant honda has over 450cc in an orv.

Without a new engine, something honda doesn't make very frequently, the only possibility is a trx650ex. And this machine has been discussed over and over and over again for the past 6 years.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

i say put the 650 motor into a re-worked 450r frame, ready for the power.. honda dont like changes tho lol

Old 06-27-2006, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

You certainly have to question why they don't do it, don't you? If they bother to make a new engine for the Rincon, you'd think they'd at least make one for a flagship sport ATV, or at least take the XR650 engine and refine it for ATV use. There are a lot of things I don't understand why Honda doesn't do, one of the biggest ones being why they are the last remaining major manufacturer besides Bombardier that doesn't have a side-by-side.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:42 AM
Pro Rider

think about this: if honda did come out with a 650/400ex or 650/450r what would make it so groundbreaking everybody would want one over a raptor? if the quad was to be popular outside of 400ex owners/honda loyalists, it would have to come out with some good stuff on it (aftermarket suspension, finely tuned engine, hell maybe an EFI a few years down the road). if nothing else this would be like honda making their own oldschool raptor (though with a few differences).

dont get me wrong, if i could drop a 650 engine and new shocks on my ex i would love it, but with open-class quads at this stage, a plain 650 wont be much to being to the bargaining table. though it may take a few years, honda could crank out a fairly advanced big-bore sport quad.

look at polaris, they came out with their first real sport quad and have been fine-tuning it ever since. honda has more knowledge of sport quads then polaris did, so i dont see why not they could stir up a fairly advanced 650ex.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't know anymore.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I used to be sure they were going to release a big bore, they have a great engine in the XR650R engine, but for some reason they have never pulled the trigger. Maybe they will someday, but I'm not holding my breath anymore.

One of the only things I can think of, is that they had one ready that would perform better than the 660R, and then they caught wind of the 700R before it went into production and went back to the drawing boards. It's no secret that they had prototype models.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:56 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I think they should blow everyones mind with a CR500 powered quad.

Then let the real men step forward!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ubertrailblazer01
think about this: if honda did come out with a 650/400ex or 650/450r what would make it so groundbreaking everybody would want one over a raptor? if the quad was to be popular outside of 400ex owners/honda loyalists, it would have to come out with some good stuff on it (aftermarket suspension, finely tuned engine, hell maybe an EFI a few years down the road). if nothing else this would be like honda making their own oldschool raptor (though with a few differences).

dont get me wrong, if i could drop a 650 engine and new shocks on my ex i would love it, but with open-class quads at this stage, a plain 650 wont be much to being to the bargaining table. though it may take a few years, honda could crank out a fairly advanced big-bore sport quad.

look at polaris, they came out with their first real sport quad and have been fine-tuning it ever since. honda has more knowledge of sport quads then polaris did, so i dont see why not they could stir up a fairly advanced 650ex.
Do you realize how many people would by it regardless of it's features and performance.......just because it's a Honda? That is Honda's money market.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by: mywifesquad
I think they should blow everyones mind with a CR500 powered quad.

Then let the real men step forward!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I wish! Honda, always a conservative company anyways, seems really gunshy in the atv world after the whole trike thing blew up. Even though the 400EX blew everything else away at intro., Honda could have unleashed a better 250R replacement back in '99 if they really wanted to. Since the Raptor is one of the best selling quads in Yammies lineup, I am surprised Honda isn't looking for a slice of the big bore pie. True the DS and KFX700 don't sell in huge numbers, but they are niche marketed while a nice 650EX would probably have a broader appeal.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally posted by: Scooter86

I wish! Honda, seems really gunshy in the atv world after the whole trike thing blew up.
I think you nailed it right there Scooter86. I dont think they ever recovered from the ATC days either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: What's Honda's next BIG BORE Sport Quad ??