Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

Castrol GPS 4-Stroke oil?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 09:11 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone tried this oil, it is red, have you ran a red 4 stroke oil before?

Old 11-27-2000, 11:56 AM
Range Rover

I don't use Castrol but the Amsoil that I run is red (20w-50 high performance)
Exer

Old 11-27-2000, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

Is it formulated for motorcycles? There is a diff.
between regular oil you use in a car and one that is also used to lube the gear box etc. I don't think the color is relevent but I may be wrong. Cyle oil is a lot more spendy but...........
I guess if you change your oil often, then any good auto oil will work.

Old 11-27-2000, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Several years ago I was told by a friend that Castrol has a reputation for creating a varnish buildup in engines. I had been using it in my '85 Toyota pickup for several years and had a problem with sticking valves during cold startup. It was so bad at times that I was afraid the valves were going to knock holes in the top of the pistons. Soon thereafter I changed to Valvoline add haven't had the problem since. Since that time I have run Valvoline in a 89 Camry and 98 Tacoma with no problems whatsoever. Needless to say, it goes in every gasoline engine that I own.

Old 11-27-2000, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

for my toyota i use havoline, but a quad engine is a whole different story. Castrol gps is 8 dollars a quart, so it better work

Old 11-27-2000, 02:58 PM
Pro Rider

Now think for just a minute and put yourself in the shoes of the company who makes and sells ATV's. Would you make one that comes with some unique type of gasoline engine that requires a unique type of oil? Common sense tells me you would sell a lot more of them if it were built around an engine that was completely well-suited for conventional type oils.

Old 11-27-2000, 05:31 PM
Range Rover

sure any old oil will work, but i have a highly moddified engine and transmission, so motorcycle oil is better, because it has transmission additives in it, unlike conventional car oil

Old 11-27-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well in that case be sure to buy oil made specifically for and/or by the same company that manufactured your ATV. There is surely something different about their oil that makes it better than all other brands. All those industry standards that are used to rate the performance of all brands of motor oil mean really nothing when you think about it.

Old 11-27-2000, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer

I use Hondaline GN4 in my Kawasaki Mojave, KZ750 street bike,Yamaha WR250 trans (HP2 for premix) I wont use anything else.

Old 11-28-2000, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is not good to run a regular car engine oil in a bike /atv engine for one reason.A car uses two different oils one for the engine ond another for the tranny be it a manual or automatic.A manual transmission needs a thicker oil and one that has totaly different oiling properties than regular automotive engine oils.A motor cycle engine uses the same oils to lube the tranny as the engine,you also have a clutch that requires lubing and I hate to tell you guys but an automotive engine oil is not designed for these engines. engine oils lube bearings and valve guides pistons etc not clutches, transmissions and engines.
The guys who run the proper engine oils and the proper viscositys have less wear and breakdowns
any one ever see the head of an xr100 that has only run car oils ? take a look and you'll see for your self.
I recomend you use a good motorcycle oil and if you can aford it buy synthetic, trust me us mechanics can tell the difference between an engine runnin synthetics or rugular automotive oils

Quick Reply: Castrol GPS 4-Stroke oil?