Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

450r trx kick start headlight mod?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 01:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 450r trx kick start headlight mod?

Ok, i haven't seen anything about this so i figured i'd ask

Have a 2005 trx 450r (kick), Is there any way to mod the head light so when the engine slows down the head light doesnt shut off (dim). I had to find that out the hard way one night didn't know about it, hehe so that turn was interesting. Mabe someone could help me out i just want to have it so when i slow down and apply the breaks the head light doesnt turn off on me again, please any input would help

Old 07-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

the headlight totally shuts off?? if the light shuts off, you have something wrong with your lighting coil, unless honda actually made it like that.

even though it's a kick start, is there still a battery on it or not?

i hope someone else chimes in and helps you out, i dont know anything about the 450r's

Old 07-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer

The light shouldn't turn off completely. I have the 05 R also and haven't had this problem. A friend of mine had a similar issue though where his R's headlight would dim when idling and get a little brighter when revving, but he had battery issues. I'm certainly no expert but I'd say check the battery and maybe pop a new one in.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

the kick start doesnt have a battery it uses the engine to create the power... so when the engine is at idle its not pussitn out as much power theres nothing wront with your quad thats just the way it is... By the way I have not had that problem with my R's... I ride at night all the tiem they dont dim a significant amount even at idle...

Old 07-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Range Rover

what happens if you out your clutch in and rev it up?

Old 07-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Range Rover

The head light is one thing, the tail is a whole new ball game.

When you stall in the dunes at night you become a problem for the other vehicles that can't see you. You need to have a glow stick or battery operated light on your flag.

As an extra safety measure we put one of those inexpensive bicycle flashers on my sons 04-450R so he can be seen at night. It is sort of funny watching him trying to start it night because the head comes on and off, on and off while he kicks it over. It is harder to restart when it is hot and the light is on.

We are going to put the CRF ignition conversion on it with a battery.

Trail Tech might have some sort of piggy back battery you can use

CRR

Old 07-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Basically it happens any time i hit the foot brake or the front brake, yes it dimms but i cant see a thing its still on but very low like a flashlight with a battery thats going out... Should i call the company i bought it and see whats up with it? or is there any way that i can add a battery to it?

Old 07-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Range Rover

X - I apologize because I didn't read your posy that well the first time.

It sounds like either your wiring or your brake light is loading down your electrical system.

Unplug your tail light and see if your head light stil dims when either brake is applied. If it gets better the tail light is loading it down.

If it is still a problem then might unplug the wiring from the front or rear switches one at a time to isolate that part of the system that could draining the power.

I tapped into my sons electrical system on his 04 and added two trial tech HIDs with out a battery and it only causes a problem when he stalls it and tries to restart without turning them off.

Your system shouldn't die from the tail light coming on.

CRR

Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

i dont want to over simplify here or sound dumb but are you hitting your brake without pulling the clutch in when you ride? you slam that brake like that and that engine will lug, decrease rpm and then die; hence light going dim then off.

if i am off base let me know. Is it still under warranty? let the dealer fix it. These things cost too much and too much labor too not have an extented warranty now a days.

all my Rs lighting works of the eninges power the more rev=more light and none have given me a problem. ever. i actually prefer this to most (if not all) battery equipped quads b/c the light revving with the engine is usually brighter than a fixed supply from a battery. and it could very well be a electrical problem like coyote said but it could maybe possibly be the way you are riding? no offense meant.

BTW coyote, thats a nice bike list you have there. ive been thinking about getting a 300EX for a little trail/tinker around machine - now that they prob arent going to make a 2007 model and its history to honda; how does that 330 do? PM me if you dont want to crowd the discussion here. i dont mean to hijack the thread.

hey X- let us know what you find out. you could buy an 06..i think their lights stay on with the battery?? does any one know?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

either way when i pull the clutch or just hit the brakes and down shift it shuts off, I called the dealer and i have it going in on the 21st of this month, its only 1 month old so yes it has the warrenty :-). Ill let ya guys know what they say when i bring it in Thanks for the help guys ill be posting soon about whats what laters

Quick Reply: 450r trx kick start headlight mod?